Got A Mystery Tool With A Lathe-like Feel... Help

Back in the days, your starter was always going bad on the cars and trucks of the time. Not everyone could afford a new starter so they bought this gadget to use to repair the commutator with. Sometimes it worked, I'm sure most of the time it didn't do so well. And you still wound up buying a new or rebuilt starter most of the time.

Armatures need recut when they wear out of round; it's like dressing a grinding wheel. I can't say I've done it to a starter or generator, but I do it to power tool armatures all the time.
-James Huston

Now WHY on earth would you have to re-cut an armature?
A commutator, actually. The armature is the part with the windings, strictly speaking. There are two steps: turning down the copper parts to a uniform diameter and undercutting the mica insulation between the segments. This should only be done if the commutator is pitted or out of round. It's ok for the copper to be brown.

AN armature lathe?
Yes, it is an armature lathe, made for recutting generator armatures, I have one just like it and have used it for recutting the armature on my '28 Dodge "Fast Four". There is also a companion tool that comes with the lathe to undercut the mica insulation between the bars after the turning operation. These were sold by Snap On and possibly others as well.

Useta just chuck up the aramtures in the lathe and turn the com..commu...com thingys on motors in the shipyard. Never used one of those "HSDD" things

More coolness! Could be used as a 2nd op. lathe to spin polish pins and such (Ifn' it can go high enough rpm?)

Back