Got a new tool/toy today

Congrats! With the right wheels, that will grind HSS just fine. They work well for brazed carbide tooling, which is what I think they were intended for. For inserted carbide, an Accu-finish works well.

Expensive tool, and that one looks brand new! Very nice.

thanks for the kind words and advice.....

Mikey, I do a lot of Business with Baldor I mentioned to my salesman a month or two ago that I wanted to start grinding HSS this was sitting in my office this morning!!!!! I couldn’t justify buying something like this personally it floored me. Any advice on wheels would be much appreciated.

You have a really nice salesman - that is a $2,000.00 grinder! Which I do not own ... :(

If you're going to grind HSS, the best wheel to get would be a CBN wheel. Not much choice for a 6" cup wheel with a 1-1/4" arbor and 1" wide face. Shars has some: http://www.shars.com/products/abrasives/diamond-cbn-grinding-wheels/6x1-d6a2c-cbn-plain-cup-wheel

Maybe see if they have a coarse wheel and a fine one. I know that 80 grit will shape a HSS tool and I would guess that a 220 or finer will get the coarse marks off.

Aluminum Oxide wheels are plentiful. You'll have to ask the guys with a tool and cutter grinder for recommendations.

I don't use wheeled grinders for tool grinding; I use a belt sander. Do you happen to know the Wilton or Burr King salesman? :p

Back