• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Got a Schaublin 102, cute little bugger!

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Crank

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
After trading my 14x60 lathe for a more petite 14x32, I knew I still wanted a small precision lathe for detail work. Constantly looking at Craigslist produced a number of nice hobby sized machines, well suited for the guy who is content with one lathe, but I knew something would eventually catch my eye. The other day I was surprised to see this Schaublin turn up. I got in touch with the owner and saw it the next evening. After seeing it we made a deal and it came home with me. He had gotten it from his company that was streamlining its equipment. It came well tooled with the long travel carriage and the upgraded tailstock. It also came with the grinding/milling carriage and a production rapid feed carriage. Unbeknownst to either of us,in one of the boxes it had a magnetic chuck to go with it. The bed is a bit scuffed up from regular use, but it seems to be a nice e ample of the toolroom version with a back geared headstock. Message_1508549457625.jpg 20171021_184215_HDR.jpg Message_1508549457625.jpg 20171021_184249_HDR.jpg 20171021_184257_HDR.jpg 20171021_184328_HDR.jpg 20171021_184428_HDR.jpg 20171021_184956_HDR.jpg

Crank

Sorry, I cut myself off. I did get a transformer to kick it up to 380V with it and I'm curious about refitting it with a 220V and a VFD. If anyone has any thoughts or experience, please share. I will probably not keep the grinding carriage, since I don't like the idea of abrasives near a lathe. So if anyone is interested in it, let me know. As far as I have been able to determine, this headstock is designed for about 3000RPM max. I won't need something powerful since I have a monster lathe for anything over 2" diameter, so that why I'm considering a different motor

Crank

Thanks for the compliments, it's not perfect, but it looks 100 times better after I cleaned the film of varnished gunk off of everything. The condition when I saw it was less than appealing, but I saw it mostly needed a thorough cleaning. The motor assembly looked like it was painted black, I couldn't get the best access to the whole motor assembly, I need a puller to remove one of the pulleys. I'm going to be cleaning the carriage on my Takisawa today and be glad this one didn't need an overhaul.

Mark

Crank

Still wondering if anyone has a solid number for what the maximum RPM for the spindle is. Please chime in if you know for sure.
Thanks

Mark

ch2co

insurgent G Old Man
Mark
That is one beautiful little machine, congratulations! I there a manual that came with it?
Have you tried checking with the manufacturer? The have an online presence, although it seems to be in ?French?

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I gotta say........beautiful machine!

It came well tooled
Oh boy did it!

Great find. That tail stock is llloooonnggg.

Sorry I have no info on the max rpm.....

-brino

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
....okay I had to look up some company history.

This page: http://www.lathes.co.uk/schaublin/page6.html

says:
Massively heavy (274 kg/604 lb) the once popular cast-iron, one-piece stand and chip tray was available in a variety of configurations but, in its ordinary form (for the 102VM leadscrew lathe as Part No. 102-80), was generally supplied with the 2-speed 750/3000 r.p.m. 0.5/1.25 h.p. motor
and that site talks about various models 102, 102-N, 102-VN
The different models are listed here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/schaublin/

Good Luck!
-brino

FOMOGO

Active User
Looks like you hit the jackpot on what you were looking for. Nice selection of collets, and accesessories. Should be a real solid/rigid platform for delicate work. Mike

woodchucker

Banned
Banned
That is one nice little lathe. Good luck and don't hurt that thing trying to do big lathe stuff on it... Really nice.

NEL957

Active User
Mark
That is one beautiful machine and I am jealous. I just wish I could afford one for my shop, they are fine, but all the attachments are like the lathe pricey. Enjoy you beauty.
Nelson

Crank

Thanks to all of you for the compliments. I'm juggling figuring out how to set this up with a motor/VFD combo to keep a minimal footprint, while at the same time overhauling my Takisawa TSL-800D. What started as a clean up on that one, turned into a fanatical OCD endeavor. So I have two lathes and want to get them both making chips and this one is just a matter of powering it. Typical for me, I can't leave anything alone, but this Schaublin is in good shape and I won't go nuts. I guess I'll figure out what I can run for a pulley system and pop a motor on it with the VFD. It would be nice to drive off 1ph and not have to light off my 10hp RPC, its fairly quiet but drones in the background. I'll be glad to hear from other owners, it seems that these have an almost mythical reputation, but reality is they can be affordable and they definitely have limitations. My Takisawa will be the brute and yet precise, while the Schaublin will be for itty bitty precision.
Thanks again

Mark

Uglydog

Active User
The EPA has been advised of a significant drool release in Minnesota.

Daryl
MN

Crank

Daryl,
Be careful, drool mixed with cutting oil becomes carcinogenic. It's true, I saw it on the internet!

Couldn't resist

Mark

[6]
[5] [7]