Got a Schaublin 102, cute little bugger!

Crank

Registered
Registered
After trading my 14x60 lathe for a more petite 14x32, I knew I still wanted a small precision lathe for detail work. Constantly looking at Craigslist produced a number of nice hobby sized machines, well suited for the guy who is content with one lathe, but I knew something would eventually catch my eye. The other day I was surprised to see this Schaublin turn up. I got in touch with the owner and saw it the next evening. After seeing it we made a deal and it came home with me. He had gotten it from his company that was streamlining its equipment. It came well tooled with the long travel carriage and the upgraded tailstock. It also came with the grinding/milling carriage and a production rapid feed carriage. Unbeknownst to either of us,in one of the boxes it had a magnetic chuck to go with it. The bed is a bit scuffed up from regular use, but it seems to be a nice e ample of the toolroom version with a back geared headstock.Message_1508549457625.jpg20171021_184215_HDR.jpgMessage_1508549457625.jpg20171021_184249_HDR.jpg20171021_184257_HDR.jpg20171021_184328_HDR.jpg20171021_184428_HDR.jpg20171021_184956_HDR.jpg

Sorry, I cut myself off. I did get a transformer to kick it up to 380V with it and I'm curious about refitting it with a 220V and a VFD. If anyone has any thoughts or experience, please share. I will probably not keep the grinding carriage, since I don't like the idea of abrasives near a lathe. So if anyone is interested in it, let me know. As far as I have been able to determine, this headstock is designed for about 3000RPM max. I won't need something powerful since I have a monster lathe for anything over 2" diameter, so that why I'm considering a different motor

Thanks for the compliments, it's not perfect, but it looks 100 times better after I cleaned the film of varnished gunk off of everything. The condition when I saw it was less than appealing, but I saw it mostly needed a thorough cleaning. The motor assembly looked like it was painted black, I couldn't get the best access to the whole motor assembly, I need a puller to remove one of the pulleys. I'm going to be cleaning the carriage on my Takisawa today and be glad this one didn't need an overhaul.

Mark

Still wondering if anyone has a solid number for what the maximum RPM for the spindle is. Please chime in if you know for sure.
Thanks

Mark

Mark
That is one beautiful little machine, congratulations! I there a manual that came with it?
Have you tried checking with the manufacturer? The have an online presence, although it seems to be in ?French?

I gotta say........beautiful machine!

It came well tooled
Oh boy did it!

Great find. That tail stock is llloooonnggg.

Sorry I have no info on the max rpm.....

-brino

....okay I had to look up some company history.

This page: http://www.lathes.co.uk/schaublin/page6.html

says:
Massively heavy (274 kg/604 lb) the once popular cast-iron, one-piece stand and chip tray was available in a variety of configurations but, in its ordinary form (for the 102VM leadscrew lathe as Part No. 102-80), was generally supplied with the 2-speed 750/3000 r.p.m. 0.5/1.25 h.p. motor

and that site talks about various models 102, 102-N, 102-VN
The different models are listed here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/schaublin/

Good Luck!
-brino

Looks like you hit the jackpot on what you were looking for. Nice selection of collets, and accesessories. Should be a real solid/rigid platform for delicate work. Mike

Back