Got a Schaublin 102, cute little bugger!

That is one nice little lathe. Good luck and don't hurt that thing trying to do big lathe stuff on it... Really nice.

Mark
That is one beautiful machine and I am jealous. I just wish I could afford one for my shop, they are fine, but all the attachments are like the lathe pricey. Enjoy you beauty.
Nelson

Thanks to all of you for the compliments. I'm juggling figuring out how to set this up with a motor/VFD combo to keep a minimal footprint, while at the same time overhauling my Takisawa TSL-800D. What started as a clean up on that one, turned into a fanatical OCD endeavor. So I have two lathes and want to get them both making chips and this one is just a matter of powering it. Typical for me, I can't leave anything alone, but this Schaublin is in good shape and I won't go nuts. I guess I'll figure out what I can run for a pulley system and pop a motor on it with the VFD. It would be nice to drive off 1ph and not have to light off my 10hp RPC, its fairly quiet but drones in the background. I'll be glad to hear from other owners, it seems that these have an almost mythical reputation, but reality is they can be affordable and they definitely have limitations. My Takisawa will be the brute and yet precise, while the Schaublin will be for itty bitty precision.
Thanks again

Mark

At long last, the Schaublin is finally getting closer to be operational. Everyone probably thought I had this thing running long before now, but some major things have kept me from tackling the power issue. I quickly dismissed the use of the transformer due to bulk and weight. After finally taking the 380V motor to a specialty shop, it was confirmed that it could not be made to work on 208-240V. Rewinding was a potential option that was prohibitively expensive and the shop said they could sell me several motors for less cost. Long story short, we came up with a Techtop, 2hp, 1800rpm, 145T frame and it showed up on my doorstep Wednesday. What I finally decided to do, was to eliminate the multiple pulley system and machine a sleeve for the main belt pulley and direct drive it. That required machining a sleeve to fit the 25mm pulley on the 7/8" shaft and the Takisawa made short work of that. I had bought another Invertek 2hp VFD last year in preparation for a new motor and I will wire it up in the coming week to make sure all is well before I make a mounting block and hinge unit to get the belt tension and alignment squared away. Here is a picture of the pulley sleeved and mounted.

Mark
e9f298389bf37226813992a993190789.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Well...... Good news, bad news, good news and great news.

Good news, I have made a motor mounting system using an old cast iron grinder base, two aluminum risers and a heavy duty hinge.

Bad news :confusion:, while attempting to reinstall the spindle after getting a properly sized belt. I screwed up horribly and wrecked the front bearing. After cogitating over my stupidity, I resigned myself to trying to track down a bearing with a list price over $1K.

Good news, Using the OEM part number, I started to find correct super precision bearings at prices half of list, then I started to find some for even less. This prompted me to look for the rear bearings as well, since they weren't exactly minty either. It had turned out that all the bearings had not seen lubrication of any sort for quite some time and were less than pristine. I had hoped a thorough rinsing and a fresh coat of Kluber Isoflex might buy me a bit more life.

Great News! I found the front race and bearing as individual numbered items still in two boxes from FAG, which are probably 40-50 years old and still brand new. They set me back all of $108 shipped. Digging deeper for the rear bearings, I found a set of 3 matched bearings with the correct part number and precision classification being sold as a spindle service kit for a Mori Seki for $85!

I seriously dodged a bullet on what had the potential to be a major catastrophe and I wind up freshening up the bearings that I was on the fence to replace anyways. Desperation drove me to dig around for the best deal out there and I got blessed.

I have pictures of the motor mount and will add them along with the test run of the inverter.

Mark

IMG_20190610_165402.jpg

IMG_20190610_165410.jpg

IMG_20190610_194949.jpg

IMG_20190610_194955.jpg

IMG_20190610_195001.jpg

IMG_20190610_195012.jpg

IMG_20190610_195019.jpg

All of the needed bits showed up and I got it together Saturday. A big sigh of relief to have it operational. It will be a bit before I start putting it into regular service since I still need to figure out what kind of jobs it will be best suited for. I'm so used to doing small work on my bigger lathes that I have to think of reasons to use this one.

Now on to the video!

Enjoy!

Mark

This is a very nice lathe and You got super lucky with the accessories.
Schaublin products are always super precision and also super expensive.

What to do with that one ?

Everything that requires high precision and that is cylindrical and that can be accommodated with it :)

Norppu,
I am very much in agreement it was a great score to wind up with the accessories. I did some major rearrangement of my work area and for the short term, the Schaublin will have to resign itself to being moved around on its wheeled cart to keep it out of harm's way. I also tore apart the cross slide and compound and I i see a bit too much wear for my liking. I think this would make for a small and manageable opportunity to try my hand at scraping. I have always found that process fascinating, but was hesitant to invest in the equipment.

Luckily Stefan Gotteswinter did a video of this exact process, so I have a means to guide myself through the steps. How poorly I execute it will weigh strictly on myself.

Mark

Back