Got a Schaublin 102, cute little bugger!

Very nice machine! I actually was just given the same Schaublin 102 cross-slide and compound for free when I purchased a Atlas 7B Shaper. I am super amazed at the quality of the cross-slide. The anti-backlash feedscrews are quite brilliant. I wish there was a way to retro-fit it to my lathe!

I have heard nothing but rave enthusiasm for these Schaublin lathes. They're pretty much the pinnacle for watchmaking and precision fine work. I've never been tempted to use a human hair to write my name on a grain of rice, so I know that micro work is not for me, but if your hands are steady and your eyes keen, I bet you can move into some amazing work. I'm glad you didn't trade off your Takisawa!

My apologies for disappearing from the forum for so long and thanks for the positive replies. I'm still at a loss when I would have a valid reason to put it into use, what little lathe work I have been faced with has been handled quickly and accurately with the Takisawa. You may just see this turn up in the classifieds, but that will have to wait until I can regain control of the work area again. Right now it looks like a set from some dystopian film.

Mark

Daryl,
Be careful, drool mixed with cutting oil becomes carcinogenic. It's true, I saw it on the internet!

Couldn't resist

Mark
That is only Known to be true in the state of California .

Wow, fantastic find, it looks loved. Man, lotsa North Carolina drool too, anyone have a bucket? Please keep the photos coming!

Back