Got a tiny Craftsman lathe. What do I have here?

parrothead

Registered
Registered
A friend gave me this nice little Craftsman lathe, number 109.21270. Does anyone have any information on one of these?IMG_2923.jpgIMG_2924.jpgIMG_2926.jpgIMG_2921.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have that same machine but with a 4ft bed.... I haven't made anything with it yet..... Its kinda hard to run the carriage with the lead screw hand feed... But it should have back gears....

Mine has a 6” swing and the total length of the lathe is 27”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

During the early part of WW-II, and again from 1948 until 1959, Sears sold these under the Sears Dunlap badge at first and later under the Craftsman "80" badge. They were made by a company also in Michigan named AA, sometimes spoken as "Double A". The company and the lathes have no connection to Atlas or Clausing, although I have heard it said that their Change Gears are interchangeable with those on the Atlas 6". It has been a while but several of them have shown up and been discussed here. And there are a few manuals and parts drawings in Downloads under the same folder/Category as the Atlas machines.

One weakness on those is the spindle is thin and can be bent easily-
Also I believe they came with one of two spindle nose sizes: 1/2" and 3/4"- the latter being preferred
Check and see which one you have
M

A friend owns a Dunlap lathe with a bent spindle and unfortunately, he has found no economically sensible fix. So if yours is good, consider yourself lucky and treat it gently.

There is also a copy of the manual on the 109.21270 in our Downloads. As well as on the other models except on the last one from the mid-1960's. And also Lionel Weithtman's parts drawings.

A friend owns a Dunlap lathe with a bent spindle and unfortunately, he has found no economically sensible fix. So if yours is good, consider yourself lucky and treat it gently.
There are often repro spindles on Ebay for these machines. TJ

Back