Got another question: shortening cartridge cases

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Ok folks another question. I'm going to shorten some 500 S&W magnum cases to the 50 JRH (short). Once they are shortened what do you folks do to deburr and trim the case to final length?

After I resized 30-06 cases to .308 Win, I trimmed them to length in the lathe and deburred them with a hand deburring tool. I have a little clamp that mounts in the lathe chuck and captures the rim of the case. I used a custom ground HSS bit with almost a knive point profile so that cutting forces were largely radial. I set up a carriage stop and backe off for the initial cut and then advanced to the stop for a final trim to length, It was a quick and easy way to trim.

Yah, I bought a 2" cutt off saw at harbor freight to do the unitial cutting. What type and brand hand deburring tool do you use.

Attachments

• 20230407_093821.jpg
    20230407_093821.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 5
Thanks.....anyone else use any other deburrer/trimmer. I've seen some that will do both the outside and inside of the case. Some have a hole thru one end with a shank extending from one end. Does anyone make one with a hole that goes completely thru both ends. That way you could make an adapter that fits each end in which the adapter could be made so that the deburrer would only slide and deburr down to the exact desired length of the case.....if any of the above is understandable.

I just saw a redding trimmer/deburrer with removable pilot but it only goes up to .475 cal.

The problem with deburrer's that do the inside and outside of a case is that they tend to sharpen the leading edge. I had this problem with the Giraud trimmers (great trimmers when you're removing a few thousandths, but not so good at bulk material removal). The L.E. Wilson deburring tool (sold under a lot of different names) is the way to go. It's manual, but it takes only a quick twist inside and then outside and you're done.

GsT

I use a Forster for case trimming, you set a stop and it repeats accurately. Used to be cheap on eBay, so I have a couple.

Thanks Guys....does anyone know of a trimmer/deburrer like the forster that has a removable pilot or removable center

Back