Got me a CVA Lathe

bjornsh67

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I have got me a new lathe! I found a CVA on http://www.lathes.co.uk/advertphoto/140411cva/ (after a tip from samthedog) and after a period of long consideration I decided to go for it.

I could have shared the adventure and scary part of getting the lathe home. But I wanted it home first - then tell the story!

The lathe has now landed in my shed. I need to clean it. And move it. The weight is 1700kg - or thereabout. I have got me a nice pair of machine skates so that would help. Serious considerations needs to be taken moving this thing.

I also have to decide the best strategy on shop power. There are plenty of relays and also a pump motor on this lathe. And it it wired for 380VAC. My shop has 230VAC 16Amps. I am considering to install more power in the shop - either 20Amps or 25Amp. And I could also get a rotary converter (http://www.motorsandinverters.co.uk/4-0kW-RT-Rotary-Converter-p276.html).

(Yes, I have a limited budget ……….:thinking:)

View attachment 77817

I will share more photos later, and the tale on getting it home!

Bjorn

img2.jpg

That machine is even nicer in the flesh. A beast by every standard but still nice and smooth. I can't wait to see it running Bjorn.

Paul.

That looks like a very heavy duty lathe. 1700kgs is very heavy for this size lathe. Heavy means strong and rigid. I'm looking for a lathe in that size and weight class too. I think you're gonna love it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I have got me a new lathe! I found a CVA on http://www.lathes.co.uk/advertphoto/140411cva/ ...
Looks like a nice machine and you sure got a load of tooling. The price (about $3100 US) is quite reasonable. It also looks like you got the original manuals; I would sure like to have scans of those...

You can sure see the Monarch heritage. The round-dial gearbox is interesting. Does it have a Reeves drive?

What's the serial number and build date?

Looking forward to more photos,

Cal

Hi,

Here are a few photos from the moving in and from the nameplate.

The fork lift is a 5ton type. It got stuck in my drive way and his colleague had to come and rescue him/the fork lift truck using a hiab truck. Luckily, the lathe had already got unloaded.

As you can see from the pictures, I need to look careful into my floor space. The CVA is rather biggish.

All pictures are clickable and you should get them on screen straight up.

DSC_0955.JPG

DSC_0954.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

DSC_0948.JPG

DSC_0949.JPG
View attachment 77856

View attachment 77858

DSC_0955.JPG DSC_0954.JPG DSC_0956.JPG DSC_0948.JPG DSC_0949.JPG

Hi,

Here are a few photos from the moving in and from the nameplate.

The fork lift is a 5ton type. It got stuck in my drive way and his colleague had to come and rescue him/the fork lift truck using a hiab truck. Luckily, the lathe had already got unloaded.

As you can see from the pictures, I need to look careful into my floor space. The CVA is rather biggish.

All pictures are clickable and you should get them on screen straight up.

View attachment 77848

View attachment 77849

View attachment 77850

View attachment 77854

View attachment 77855

Back