Got Milk? - NO need help

MachinePop

Registered
Registered
Building a goat milking machine but having trouble getting beyond the Protech
gearmotor and the SCR (specs below).

My issue: the Minarik SCR MM23001c seems to need/require additional
components to function properly. I bought the Protech and Minarik from
surpluscenter.com. The gearmotor was actually cheaper than the Minarik SCR.

The Minarik SCR needs a line fuse pg.18.
Minarik drives require an external fuse for protection. Use fast acting fuses
rated for 250 VAC or higher, approximately 150% of the maximum armature
current.

and line filter pg 69,

If the exact line filter is not available, the specifications are as
follow:

L= (1.73 + 0.03) milliHenries.
C = (0.27 + 0.54) microFarads (X); 0.0055 microFarads (Y)
R = 330Kohms.
Rated current: 1.4 times maximum DC motor current.
Filter type: Balanced 2-section.

http://media.countrylivinggrainmills.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/DC-Drive-Card.pdf

Can anyone recommend a line fuse and line filter for me to use besides the
Minarik brand, or can someone recommend a different SCR that I could use that
would be easier to install, or at least comes with line fuse? My concerns is
that I am going to end up spending more money than necessary to get my current
SCR to function properly with the gearmotor below.

Gear Motor:
Protech 250 RPM 125 VDC RA gearmotor
Amp: 0.5, 1/12 HP

Thanks

Tyco Electronics is the distributor for this product line:

http://www.cor.com/Series/DC/DA/

And one of those, even the 3 amp should do the job. It's primarily a compliance to CE standards requirement anyway. I'm sure you could find many suitable filter modules on ebay.

As far as a line fuse, you will need to buy a few bits and build a simple enclosure with a surface mounted AGC style or similar fuse. Should be straightforward. Make sure you fuse the hot side rather than the neutral.

I wouldn't worry about a line filter unless you plan on marketing this machine. It's to meet the CE (conducted emissions) requirements of CE (European Community). Without it, you may hear noise if your listening to an AM radio while milking but that's about it.

The fuse, however, must be there. Fuse selection is a non-trivial activity - although it sounds easy. I would do exactly as they say and use a fuse 150% of the armature current. You can't know what that current is without measuring it during actual operation. So, I would put a 3 or 5A fast blow fuse (glass cartridge type - 3AG) in there for now to protect the controller until you get everything working to your liking.

John

Building a goat milking machine but having trouble getting beyond the Protech
gearmotor and the SCR (specs below).

My issue: the Minarik SCR MM23001c seems to need/require additional
components to function properly. I bought the Protech and Minarik from
surpluscenter.com. The gearmotor was actually cheaper than the Minarik SCR.

The Minarik SCR needs a line fuse pg.18.
Minarik drives require an external fuse for protection. Use fast acting fuses
rated for 250 VAC or higher, approximately 150% of the maximum armature
current.

and line filter pg 69,

If the exact line filter is not available, the specifications are as
follow:

L= (1.73 + 0.03) milliHenries.
C = (0.27 + 0.54) microFarads (X); 0.0055 microFarads (Y)
R = 330Kohms.
Rated current: 1.4 times maximum DC motor current.
Filter type: Balanced 2-section.

http://media.countrylivinggrainmills.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/DC-Drive-Card.pdf

Can anyone recommend a line fuse and line filter for me to use besides the
Minarik brand, or can someone recommend a different SCR that I could use that
would be easier to install, or at least comes with line fuse? My concerns is
that I am going to end up spending more money than necessary to get my current
SCR to function properly with the gearmotor below.

Gear Motor:
Protech 250 RPM 125 VDC RA gearmotor
Amp: 0.5, 1/12 HP

Thanks

we may want to get the goats opinion on this:panic::panic:
seriously do you have any pics i'm just wondering how this all works on the mechanical side
steve

I sure hope that you are milking goats to make cheese that you intend to sell to people here? Maybe?
I can't say that I ever tried goat's milk cheese, but would be willing to give it a try. :))

Roy

If your looking for a different DC Motor speed control you need to define your requirements. First it not an SCR. You want an Adjustable DC Motor speed control. An SCR is a Silicon Control Rectifier. If it used a Transistor then you would be looking for a Transistor not a speed control. You want a speed control, do you plan on using DC motors in the future? Is the Motor series or shunt wound? DC speed controls are usually cheaper than AC. This control has a lot of features such as acceleration and deceleration adjustments etc. Are these needed too?

Frank

Frank, please read the OP again. He has already purchased the hardware. It is an SCR based DC motor controller. The specifications he has recommend a line filter and a line fuse. That's all he's asking for help with. If you can help him locate those, fine. Otherwise, you're not helping, but adding information that is not needed and is off topic. It's my recommendation that the line filter is not mandatory,agreeing with John, but Tyco, as I mentioned does sell the type he needs if he chooses to go ahead with it. A fuse on the "line" or supply, is most definitely recommended, and there are a few ways this can be accomplished. If you have recommendations on a small enclosure that would house the fuse safely, I'm sure he'd be glad to see specifics on what you think he should do.

Stay on topic.

Frank, he's only interested in exploring other options if his already in-hand system proves to be more difficult to install than he anticipated. It is not, especially considering the lack of the need for a line filter, which we all agree upon. Therefore, when the original situation is cleared up, all he needs is a way to provide fuse protection for what he already has bought.

And SCR (Thyristor) based DC motor controllers are as common as dirt. It is the proper type for his application. He already bought it, so let's help him put it to work.

something must have scared him off he never posted again
that was only his second time posting here i hope he was just busy and not forced away
steve

Not scared but someones got to work around here.

Okay with further research I found these possible comparable drives to the Minarik.

KB Electronics - KBMM series: seems to come with fuse holders but requires HP resistor - pg 8,10
http://www.kbelectronics.com/manuals/kbmm_smt_manual.pdf

Dart Controls - 125DV-C: seems to be all in one- pg 11
http://www.dartcontrols.com/catalogs/125DSeries.pdf

Baldor - BC141: seems to come with fuse holders but requires HP resistor - pg 6, 12
http://www.baldor.com/downloads/manuals/_downloads/704-711.pdf

Bodine - 0865 - pass on this one, looks like the problem I already have.

Graham - s1000 - also looks like it could fit the bill. pg -5
http://www.grahammotorsandcontrols.com/products/manuals/s1000.pdf

Anyone familar or can recommend one of these that might work.

Also I waiting to here back from Surplus Center regarding why they recommended this drive outside that they carried it.

Thanks

Back