Got My New Pm-1340gt Lathe Last Night

Glad you received your lathe Dan. That should serve you well for a long time, don't think you will be outgrowing that one for a while.

Mike.

Now that's a shop building by God! OP post some more pics if you don't mind.

What oil are you guys using on the PM1340GT? The manual doesn't specify what oil and the PM website doesn't either.

Coolidge, thanks. The shop has been a 20 year labor of love. The uses have also changed through the years with hotrod work the main focus the first few years. That was when the paint booth was built as I was frequently painting parts for my Camaro. It then morphed into more of a fab shop with sand toys the main focus and as age caught up with me the 2 post lift was added. The machine tools are starting to take over now, I think it could use a little reorganization to better utilize the available space. I think I'll focus some time to improve the raw material storage, steel rack on wheels?

Dan, that sounds familiar. My little 1150 square foot shop started out as mainly building street rods and racing. I then quickly morphed into building hill-climbing snowmobiles and sand quads then sandrails. I got pretty much out of racing on asphalt and showing cars by 2006 and focused on sand drag racing and duning for pleasure. I really enjoyed machining/fabricating parts for my sand toys and that is how I outgrew my small 3-in 1 machine a couple of years ago. After upgrading/upsizing machines I have been doing more machining and fabricating over the past several years with some motorcycle work thrown in when I have time, as well as a lot of automotive repair for family/friends. I would eventually like to turn more into a small job shop and just do automotive repair on my own stuff.

As for the oil, I use AW68 lubrication in the headstock and apron of the PM1340GT because my shop is heated. For the ways I just use #2 way oil.

Mike.

I replaced mine with and ISO32, or you can use an ISO46 and split the difference as my garage gets pretty cold in the winter. If it gets cold in your shop, ISO68 may get a bit vicious. With the VFD you can also spin them a bit higher, a slightly thinner oil will give you less heat buildup from shearing. Grizzly uses ISO32 in the head stock of all of their lathes, also the ERL and RML machines run an ISO32. Jet lathes use ISO68 for everything. So probably anything in that range should work fine based on your ambient temperatures. I have read of bearing failures and heat build up when using something like ISO95 (SAE 30) oils in splash lubrication lathes, so prefer to be slightly less viscous. Carriage and gearbox the PM1340GT specifies ISO68, and on the sliding surfaces Way Oil #2 as Mike does. Not sure why there is no mention of headstock oil in the manual, manual info is pretty minimal, let us know what Matt recommends.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=945275&PMAKA=505-1206
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=945276&PMAKA=505-1208

Last edited:
Mark, just as a response to your last comment. Matt is the one who told me to run the AW68 if my shop was going to be heated. I turn it to 50 upon quiting time but while working it is usually around 60-ish.

Mike.

Made some progress yesterday. I got the lathe stand assembled and the lathe in place. Always fun to do the rigging and lift by yourself but it went without drama. I got the single phase motor removed and swapped out for the three phase motor that came in a separate box. My lathe was a factory single phase unit so the wiring looks a bit different than most of the pictures that have been posted. I can see that the wiring will be the biggest challenge for me as I am not that experienced at it but I know there is plenty of help here so I'll get through it. The VFD just came so I think I have all of the parts now so time to get to it.

setup1.JPG

Got the wall behind the lathe painted, first time in quite a while. I was 2 shades of white and full of holes from mounting stuff over the years. That's Gemma my shop dog. She gets her own piece of carpet to lay on while she supervises my work.

220v 1ph box wiring.JPG

This is a picture of the single phase wiring box. I plan on using the transformer to power the accessory light that came in the preferred package. any hints on how to wire this up? From the schematics in the manual the input is 220v and the red wire after the fuse should be 24v, just not sure how the 220v is wired as there are only 2 black wires feeding the transformer.

transformer.JPG

setup1.JPG transformer.JPG 220v 1ph box wiring.JPG

I know what you mean Dan, mine was a mess during the setup process as well. Drove me nucking futs.:) I don't do well with messes or disorganization.

Looking good though Dan.

Mike.

I can see that the wiring will be the biggest challenge for me as I am not that experienced at it but I know there is plenty of help here so I'll get through it. The VFD just came so I think I have all of the parts now so time to get to it.

I'm only a few minutes away if you need some hands on help or an extra set of eyeballs.

Back