Got my Pratt steel chuck

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Ebay 8" 4 jaw I don't know how old it is, but it has character, the outer ring has been bounced around, but no visible signs of any crashes. The jaws are smooth operating, the teeth are in good shape. It definitely has more mass than the cast PM 8" 4 jaw. the adjusters are Allen socket head, which I got used to and like now, so all in all, and I can't tell you why I like it better than the new PM 4 jaw. I do not get down to 4th place measuring(yet), but I feel it sets up a bit easier.

I like the old meets new aspect of this!

Nice looking Chuck. Cannot go wrong with Pratt Burnerd..

Ebay 8" 4 jaw I don't know how old it is, but it has character, the outer ring has been bounced around, but no visible signs of any crashes. The jaws are smooth operating, the teeth are in good shape. It definitely has more mass than the cast PM 8" 4 jaw. the adjusters are Allen socket head, which I got used to and like now, so all in all, and I can't tell you why I like it better than the new PM 4 jaw. I do not get down to 4th place measuring(yet), but I feel it sets up a bit easier.
Way to go, Mike!

My Pratt 6" 4-jaw is on the way. If USPS is right, I should have it Friday. I'll need to make a D1-4 backing plate for it. Unless I'm kidding myself, that can't be too much of a challenge.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,
Terry

Way to go, Mike!

My Pratt 6" 4-jaw is on the way. If USPS is right, I should have it Friday. I'll need to make a D1-4 backing plate for it. Unless I'm kidding myself, that can't be too much of a challenge.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,
Terry
Actually, let me clarify: I'll need to 'modify' an existing D1-4 backing plate - far less challenging than 'making' a D1-4 backing plate.

Regards,
Terry

Way to go, Mike!

Thanks for posting.

Regards,
Terry

Don't you mean your brand new Pratt 4 jaw that you got for a relative steal?

Reactions: tjb
I don't know how old it

Pratt bought Burnerd in 1954 but it looks like the name wasn't changed to Pratt Burnerd until 1974. So just speculating that yours is older than 1974? Really I have no idea though. Good to see old tools still serving their purpose.

Don't you mean your brand new Pratt 4 jaw that you got for a relative steal?
No. The one I got was not a 'relative' steal. I think I could get arrested for 'robbery' on that one. I can't help it if he took my first offer. (Wonder where I got the tip on that one? Is that 'aiding and abetting'?)

Back