Got My Qcgb

Strtspdlx

Active User
Registered
Well my gearbox came in the mail yesterday and needless to say I'm not very satisfied. I was aware the banjo had been repaired but the seller didn't say anything about the selector arm being repaired or the support arm being repaired. The center shaft has a good 1/16" of play on the bushing. And there's a few stripped holes. I paid 300$ for it as a complete ready to go setup but I'm concerned it isn't exactly functional. The threads I'm not concerned about I know I can helicoil them and I could probably repair the welds and blend them better. My concern is the wear in the gearbox. Given it is used but I don't think people really realize what condition things are suppose to be when you state in working condition. Any thoughts I can post pics if necessary. I want to tear it down to see how bad it is but I'm a little nervous.

Regards-Carlo

Hi
Pictures would help. These QCGB's are pritty simple and All of the bronze pushing are standerd hardwhear store bushings. That said I would contact the seller and let him knoe that you arn't happy.

I don't mind replacing the bushings. I actually would like to do it but I had a job waiting on this thing.

Regards-Carlo

if you got that off eBay I'd reject it outright. if elsewhere then i guess it's a lesson learned.

You can reject it and after receiving a refund, return it. eBay virtually always sides with the buyer against the seller. However, you are then back looking. And 10" gear boxes aren't real plentiful. You might be better to try to negotiate a partial refund from the seller. Unless you got it real cheap. Average cost of a very good condition QCGB is probably $450 to $500.

I paid 300 for it and expected some wear considering it is used. But the amount it has is a lot more then I had anticipated. And as mentioned they aren't very plentiful.

Regards-Carlo

+1 on sending it back or a partial refund, those repairs should have been the photos!

Alright I think I'm going to price out repairs. I will need to oversize some bushing so I can undersize some shafts to make them work but I should be alright. Can I use standard bushings or should I use oilite bushings. There's two that have no oil from the cups so I think I'll put oilite bushing there aside from that can I use standard?

Regards-Carlo

Back