Got my vice fix for the month

dlane

Active User
Registered
CL find , I thought I might of paid a little to much $80. till I got it home, it’s dirty a little rusty but in good shape.
I like the pipe jaws are two sizes , the regular jaws are in good shape, the seller cane up with 1910 as year made ?.
I’ll clean it up might leave the original patina and not paint it we’ll see.
The baby Wilton for comparison
E9CB0BA0-6401-45F3-B402-C36AA2E151E3.jpegE1820317-13F3-400D-91F2-F191CD7A774D.jpegE88C7CBF-2A77-484C-BEFE-E6B54844BDFD.jpeg
And a couple more of my other “metal” vices
72436B21-9FA2-4A4F-8F8F-3F3953E99503.jpeg964AFA2B-2976-4D70-958B-9C2342BE1113.jpeg
I may start a thread on its resurrection if I do paint it

Nice, Derrick! Those old Reed vises are solid ... and heavy! When you recover from the hernia that thing must have given you when you lifted it onto your bench I would enjoy your thread on the restoration.

Some folks might get the wrong idea, the way you spell (vice) that is what the "vice squad" deals with, try VISE.

Is that a Cardinal under the drill press? We’ve got one at work and I love it, but boy they are pricey. Congrats on the Reed!

Phosphoric Acid with coarse steel wool is a great surface rust remover.
phosphoric acid is a weak acid and is only interested in rust and will not damage iron or steel.
it works quickly especially when used in conjunction with steel wool .
it can be neutralized with regular water to avoid the white ashy phosphate deposited if left to dry untreated.
the phosphate coating is not completely undesirable in some instances, as it it very difficult to rust the outer layer of steel/iron that has bonded with the phosphate.
paint adheres very well to the phosphate coating too.

I thought I might of paid a little to much $80.

Well, over here you could buy a whole case of Dr. Pepper for a fraction of that cost. Did you really pay that much for just ONE can?

Ohhh-!

I get it now :) Well mate, I still don't think I would have paid that much for a vice...umm- vise! But some people really love their Reeds I suppose :)

I think you got a great deal! I’ve got a vice for vises too and Reeds are one one of my favorites. Picked this one up last year.

FAB05383-E344-4984-BBD3-1B60328E00CA.jpeg466D6631-9EC0-400A-BD0D-03698DD9B912.jpeg

His vice is a vise , good buy and I think the price was cheap from the ones I see . I have a nice vise vice also and I know it . So how many others here have a vise vice . I bet I own at least twenty different ones.
I have a really nice cardinal like yours I found it on eBay a buy it now with make offer , I think it came to $35. Total about a year ago. Do you have a have the heinrich vee block drilling fixture vise? I have one and it's a real time saver drilling on center with stops on rounds and hex . I keep a couple extra sizes of drill bushings . I used one many years ago and it's sure paid back the little I paid for it.
Good ole Heinrick a man with a vise or two.

Back