Got myself a new RF-30!

ChandlerJPerry

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I've bought my first mill! A round column RF-30 (branded Enco 30) located about an hour from me for $800, with a collet set and terrible x-y milling vise. I've just set it down in the garage so I haven't spent any time with it, but first I need some kind of stand or table for it. What are people mounting these to? Initially I had thought a rolling toolbox would be great but upon picking it up from the seller I think it would be too large and too heavy for that.

Attachments

• IMG_20200904_181659.jpg
    IMG_20200904_181659.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 243
  • 2215425-1598911629-158584.jpg
    2215425-1598911629-158584.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 2215425-1598911662-462175.jpg
    2215425-1598911662-462175.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 235
I bet it's bigger and heavier than you thought it would be, right? That thing is a beast of a benchtop mill and can do a lot of work for you. Congrats!

Best idea is to weld up a stand for it. Lots of ideas on the forum.

I bet it's bigger and heavier than you thought it would be, right? That thing is a beast of a benchtop mill and can do a lot of work for you. Congrats!

Best idea is to weld up a stand for it. Lots of ideas on the forum.
Definitely more substantial than I expected! Unfortunately I still don't have a welder, and I won't be able to get one for some time so that limits my options. I should specify that I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a piece of already put together furniture to use or ideas made from wood. A welder is definitely on my immediate needs list but it will take a little while... It would be quicker if I could just find a way to spend someone else's money! :D

Have you considered looking into a ready-made stand from Grizzly, Jet or PM? The all have them for the mills and I'm sure a separate stand could be found. Just be sure it can handle the weight of your machine; that thing is on the order of about 450-500# all by itself. Add on a vise, power feed and other tooling and the weight escalates fast.

Do a search for mill stand. You will gets lots of hits of what people have done. Here is the stand for my mill/drill.

IMG_3777.JPG

These things a definitely heavy. If you are going to use a metal cabinet you will want to make the top out of 2x6's or two layers of 3/4 plywood. that will distribute the weight out to the edges. The top on my stand is made out of 2x6 doug fir. No matter what kind of top you use it needs to have a hole in it so you can access the feed nuts for the X & Y lead screws.

Congrats! And welcome to the club. Mine came with a heavy duty welded 1 1/2” square tube frame the width of the machine if the table is centered. Much better IMHO than the factory stand because there is room to keep tools and my rotary table I use all the time handy where with the factory stand you dont have any place to put anything. It’s got a steel 1/4 top so more than adequate. I put castors under it so I can move it to work on it or clean around it. They have a screw jack on each castor to level the unit. I guess at one time it had a built in drawer but he took it out. I mounted an old SnapOn 3 drawer middle box under the table and plan on adding another drawer unit to it for mill specific tooling.

What would everyone say about using something like this as a stand? Max listed weight capacity on the Home Depot website is 1000 lbs, maybe throw a steel plate across the top to help distribute the weight? Or too flimsy? I only ask because this is on my local classifieds right now for a very modest price, and the dimensions are right for the base of the machine.

Attachments

• 142910-1598404168-154443.jpg
    142910-1598404168-154443.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 228
Do a search for mill stand. You will gets lots of hits of what people have done. Here is the stand for my mill/drill.

View attachment 335839

These things a definitely heavy. If you are going to use a metal cabinet you will want to make the top out of 2x6's or two layers of 3/4 plywood. that will distribute the weight out to the edges. The top on my stand is made out of 2x6 doug fir. No matter what kind of top you use it needs to have a hole in it so you can access the feed nuts for the X & Y lead screws.
Do you have approx dimensions for the location of the feed nuts? If I have to lift it up and take a gander myself I will, but seems like you've been through this already.

What would everyone say about using something like this as a stand? Max listed weight capacity on the Home Depot website is 1000 lbs, maybe throw a steel plate across the top to help distribute the weight? Or too flimsy? I only ask because this is on my local classifieds right now for a very modest price, and the dimensions are right for the base of the machine.
Nope

Keep looking for something truly heavy duty, it's out there. Go with wood if you have to but I'll bet you have a neighbor with welding equipment who's just itching to teach you how to weld. Put the word out locally and see what you come up with.

John

Nope

Keep looking for something truly heavy duty, it's out there. Go with wood if you have to but I'll bet you have a neighbor with welding equipment who's just itching to teach you how to weld. Put the word out locally and see what you come up with.

John
It's actually not a problem of experience! I took welding in school and did it professionally for a short time. I just haven't gotten myself a machine yet. I've been eyeballing the AlphaTig 201xd for awhile but haven't been able to pull the trigger because it seems like something else always gets in the way. I do have some buddies with welding equipment so I'll have to go bug them with a 6 pack so I can get something made up.

Back