Got myself a new RF-30!

Thanks for the input everyone! A trip to the local metal recycler and to a friend's home that let me use his welder allowed me to make a simple steel stand for it. I still need to get some hockey pucks to put on the bolts to function as leveling feet. The angle iron is 1 1/4"x1/8" and ditto on the square tube. I used 1/2-13 bolts for the leveling feet.

That's the ticket :eagerness:

John

Bonus pic with the mill sitting on it for a test. It's rock solid but has a little bit of side to side sway if you push the machine, I think I'll box it in with sheet metal to finalize the rigidity, other than that I'm very pleased with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_001045.jpg
    IMG_20200906_001045.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 179
Bonus pic with the mill sitting on it for a test. It's rock solid but has a little bit of side to side sway if you push the machine, I think I'll box it in with sheet metal to finalize the rigidity, other than that I'm very pleased with it.

Yep, sheer panels on three sides and you're in business.

Also shelves.

Pull out ones with slides, probably better than drawers

John

This is what I did with mine. Too old to be bending underneath for tools so filled the cabinet with misc. steel and lead cutt-offs for added weight and stability. I have done some pretty heavy work with mine and I am quite satisfied with the RF31.

I have an Enco RF25 that I mounted on top of a Harbor Freight drawer toolbox. I used 1-1/8 inch plywood to spread the weight and I welded a custom wheel base so I can move it. I only use it as a drill press so I am not using the XY table much and all the comments regarding lead etc are probably something I need to look into. So FWIW here are the pictures with the generic wheels and my custom base that was my first welding project...

View attachment 335856 View attachment 335855

I like that emergency stop. Is that a home job or bought?

I like that emergency stop. Is that a home job or bought?
I bought the parts and made it. There is really not much that you need to do. Below are the links to the parts:
1. Magnetic switch
2. Weatherproof Electrical Outlet Box, White or Weatherproof Electrical Outlet Box, Bronze
3. Tripp Lite Heavy-Duty Power Extension Cord 15A, 14AWG cut it to 2 pieces (short and long)
4. Reinforced | NPT | Cable Glands | Strain Relief | Cord Grips | UL Rated Nylon | Black
5. Nylon Spade Quick Disconnect Connectors used to connect the wires to the switch. Can be soldered instead.

I held it initially with a strong magnet but I am going to change it to a permanent mount as I like it very much and it will stay permanent. So far I made 4 of those for different machines. Much easier to use and SAFER!

Good luck!

Ariel

Back