Got outbid on an Atlas Shaper today

There was a time when you could buy Atlas Shapers all day for that price, but they have gone up. You may still find one for that if you can find a seller who knows nothing about the machine. I got mine for ~500 but I waited for some time to find that deal. They can do useful work around the shop, and it is nice to be able to grind you own tools offhand on a bench grinder. As much as I love shapers, I do agree that a mill should be on the docket ahead of a shaper, although it sounds like you already have some milling capability. Milling on the lathe tends to be pretty limited due to the short travel of the cross slide on most lathes. Take care and good luck in your search.

"Isn't there some sort of saying like "you can still make lots of things with a shaper, just not a profit"."

I have heard that many times ,now, I own two 7 inch shapers and I made money with both of them. A Logan floor model and a South Bend bench top.
Yes they are slow but to cut screw slots they are the berries. It seems they are the go to tool for a great deal of my gunsmith work. Tooling is rare for the
tricky things but if there is a picture of it somewhere I usually build it anyway. YMMY

Isn't there some sort of saying like "you can still make lots of things with a shaper, just not a profit". I don't care about profit, I still want one but have no room.

Don't know about the profit, but that's not why I'm here. However I would really love a shaper, but alas no room.

"Isn't there some sort of saying like "you can still make lots of things with a shaper, just not a profit"."
YMMY

I think shapers have their nitch. They certainly are not competitive with a CNC machining center for production work, but in the repair business, I think they could hold their own. I understand that they are used extensively in repair shops in less developed countries. This is likely due to the low cost of tooling for them. You can still find new ones produced in India and China. I think that there are probably areas in production where they could be useful, as well, but no one in production would think to use one. I have several and for certain work they are my go to tools. I like them for roughing (I have some big shapers) and keyway cutting. They will also put a nice "knurl" on a flat part pretty easily. Those are good for aesthetic reasons as well as practical ones.

I think shapers have their nitch. They certainly are not competitive with a CNC machining center for production work, but in the repair business, I think they could hold their own. I understand that they are used extensively in repair shops in less developed countries. This is likely due to the low cost of tooling for them. You can still find new ones produced in India and China. I think that there are probably areas in production where they could be useful, as well, but no one in production would think to use one. I have several and for certain work they are my go to tools. I like them for roughing (I have some big shapers) and keyway cutting. They will also put a nice "knurl" on a flat part pretty easily. Those are good for aesthetic reasons as well as practical ones.

I always loved the "click, clack, thunk" as the shaper went through it's cycle. Much like the "clickity clack" of a railway track.

I had a shaper an AMMCO 7 inch shaper I sold it for $500.00 about 5-6 years back then I bought the one in the avatar for $175.00 it takes up a lot less room and doesn't use electricity, a real Bargain. img0.jpgimg1.jpgimg3.jpg
I've used this one as much as I used the Ammco the set up time is the killer.
Regards
dgehricke

No identifying marks I have only found one other like it an ADEPT hand shaper made in England back in the 50s They are no longer being made.Heres a photo of the Adept almost an exact duplicate but no markings what so ever
dgehricke

img5.gif

Back