Got Stellite...what to use it for?

BTW, the crobalt USA site has a good summary of the strengths of their product:

---------------

Crobalt® is an excellent cutting tool material. It possesses the following excellent cutting properties at room and elevated or cutting temperatures:

• High hardness
• Very good abrasion resistance
• High Edge Strength – Transverse Rupture Strength
• High Compression Strength
• Excellent corrosion and oxidation resistance

Higher Productivity than High-Speed Steel :: Crobalt® has much better high-temperature or cutting-temperature properties than high-speed steels. Crobalt’s exceptional hardness and strength at high cutting temperatures allows us to achieve higher cutting speeds with longer tool life than are possible with high-speed steels.

Less Breakage than Cemented Carbides :: Crobalt® has higher edge strength than most Cemented Carbide Cutting Tool Compositions. This translates into higher feed rates when machining tough materials, less breakage on interrupted cuts, and cuts on rough non-concentric surfaces or when chatter is experienced.

Wider Latitude in Selection of Tool Geometries :: High edge strength gives us wider latitude in our choice of Tool Geometries, less breakage when using high clearance angles, high rake angles, small cutting edge angles and small nose-radii.

Less Breakage Due to Build-Up Edge :: Low coefficient of friction, low chemical reactivity and high edge strength minimize breakage due to build-up on the edge. These properties make Crobalt® an excellent cut-off tool material.

---------------

Craig

From years ago we used it on cast iron because of hard spots in the castings. Stellite always took it better then high speed and carbide. Even on welded up journals on giant rollers from the steel mill. For and from I earned my journeyman papers. Working 72 hour work weeks at straight pay. Had to sign papers to reduce my pay rate so it worked out on there books. But young married one child and one on the way needing a house money was hard in the seventies.
I still have pounds of tool bits of all types and I value the Stellite highest for several types of material and machines.

stellite is used everyday in my industry.
if you have eaten a hamburger or cheeseburger, stellite has touched the food you have eaten.
in the meat industry, multiple stellite inserts are silver brazed to multiple carbon steel holder points and used as a tough and durable knife edge.
it meets up with an extrusion plate, by design made of slightly softer high carbon steel.
the knife and plate are oriented so the plate is held stationary inside a cast iron tube known as the bowl
the knife is affixed to the feed auger by substantial square drive.
the feed auger is usually driven by mechanical reduction, to reduce speed and therefore reducing friction on the knife and plate junction.
the product being ground is extruded by an Archimedes screw action and the product is usually very cold or near freezing ,
it cools the process significantly .
the product generated in this process is hamburger and sausage

it makes wonderful lathe tooling turning for soft materials- aluminum, copper, brass, delrin, plastics
it can be used on steels, but needs resharpening often.
it is forgiving and can be shaped with your bench grinder, without special wheels,
but it will eat up a grinding wheel if you get too aggressive.

Back