Got the green light. Grizzly G0602

BellyUpFish

Active User
Registered
Ok guys, I got the green light from the finance committee, I'll be ordering a lathe in the next couple weeks..

I'm planning on grabbing a QC tool post but thought I'd see if there were any other recommendations for must have items during my initial purchase!? Things you wish you would have bought, etc.

Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would help to know what you have now.

Yeh, I guess it would.

I have nothing more than the zeal to learn to use a lathe.

Going to start the bench for it soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The great thing about getting one of these machines from Grizz or many of the other similar lathes is that with only a few cutting bits you can literally plug it in and start making chips. Choosing a QCTP as your first addition was a good choice - adding a collection of cutter bits wont be quite so easy and I'm not qualified to make any selections in that extensive area!

I just got started myself a couple of months ago. I got a QCTP from Tools For Cheap and am very pleased with it. Started out using the chinese indexable cutters but switched to HSS after some good advice from the guys on this forum. They were right, grinding your own tool bits is truly part of the learning experience. Pick up some tool blanks cheap on ebay. You will also need some Way Oil, light machine oil, cutting-tapping fluids and a couple of small oil cans. Also you will need some basic measuring devices - a decent 1" micrometer, basic caliper, combo square, 6" scale etc. I found most of these on ebay also. I'm having a great time learning, hope you do the same. Good Luck!

Jack C.

I'd suggest the "Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables" by Atlas (and/or Southbend's "How to Run a Lathe") and Harold Hall's "Metal Lathe for Home Machinists." Both (probably all three, but I don't have SB's book) offer a wealth of information geared toward someone new to the machine. Hall's book takes you step by step through increasingly difficult projects if you are inclined to give them a go.

Be safe and watch for loose clothing because even a bench-top will tear your fingers off if not your arm when your sleeve gets caught in a spinning chuck. And no gloves except for the medical type.

Have fun!

-Ryan

keep in mind that moving the cross slide .005 on the dial takes .010" off the diameter. Only took me one piece of scrap to realize this but several pieces of scrape to remember it everytime.

1-3" micrometer set. 6" dial caliper. Small hole gage set. Live center. Good drill chuck and arbor for the tail stock. Center drill set. Mag base dial indicator stand. Thread pitch gages. Thread tool set up device (the thing with a point on one end and a Vee on the other, old age is getting here quick). Boring bars. files. sand paper.

This is just a list of the most used items I have on my bench.

Durwood

Back