Got tired of always looking for something to write on so...

great white

Active User
Registered
I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m forever looking for notepads, scraps of paper and that sort of thing to do a quick calculation or to write down a measurement I don’t want to foget.

But to be honest, that was always a PITA and not overly useful when at the lathe.

I went to the local thift store and picked up a couple cheap dry erase boards. Buck a piece, can’t beat that!

Like most home owners, I dont have a lot of room in the shop/garage, so they had to be small and easy to put away. But not mounting them somewhere also means they’re not very useful at the lathe.

So I came up with a “scrap pile” solution. An old piano style hinge from something (I can’t remember what), and a couple pieces of thin wall square tube (I think it was from an old bathroom stand or something) and a bit of figurin’ gets me this:

7AA416B8-B3DD-4E3D-95EB-331FA5E33309.jpeg

F865E050-7F1A-4A52-9D9B-C1D17D2D0209.jpeg

2C6BF5A8-826C-45AB-B23E-5539EDD3FC55.jpeg

10F18AC3-3AA0-4CA3-A633-502A2FCFC447.jpeg

It pivots up out of the way when I need it stored, but I can swing down to where I can write on it. With the piano hinge, I can swing it left/right so I can see it from the headstock or most anywhere else in the garage (swings almost 180).

It even came with a marker holder attached. Side bonus is it’s also magnetic, so I can stick a piece of paper to it with a magnet if I want a drawing (or other document) close by to reference it.

Last thing was a bit of string and a rag to use to wipe it clean when done.

I think I’m going to add a little bracket to hold a claculator too. That’s always another PITA to store on/close to the lathe and something I always seem to need when making things “on the fly”.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the way it came out! All for less than a buck!

Last thing I have to do is work out a spring mech so I can move it up and down and have it stay where I put it. Right now, the lower arm just has a hook/spring that I can move up and down the pegboard holes.

Just thought I’d share some of my “junk pile engineering”.

:)

Last edited:
That's a good looking addition. Thanks for sharing.

Back