Got tired of not having enough light where I wanted it so.....

great white

Active User
Registered
I installed a flex light when I built the cabinet mounting for my Atlas. It worked fine for putting light right on the work spot, But always seemed to want more on areas like dials, tail stock or wherever else I needed to do my work. So I grabbed an "arm light" at the local thrift store. It was super cheap as it was missing it's base and considered "broken".

A little busy work and:

For the mount I just went super simple.:

I just grabbed a piece of scrap square stock, faced it off on both ends, threaded a hole in the bottom, proper sized hole in the top to fit the light base and bolted it through the metal cabinet top. The top is somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 thick, so the mount is solid. The cabinet already has power, so it was just a matter of plugging the light in.

Works great and I can put extra light right where I need it.

:)

Last edited:
I have three of swing arm lamps but with the magnifying lenses. One on each lathe and one on my electronics workbench. The shop made socket on my Atlas lathe is welded to the back of the OEM stand. For the Grizzly lathe, I fabricated a socket with a flange which is bolted to the backsplash. With my eyesight getting worse all the time, the magnifiers are really handy.

Done exactly the same for my milling machine. The lathes have good LED ceiling lights over them but the construction of the mill needed something angled to get in at the business end. Did a similar mount, but to avoid drilling the mill base I fastened a bracket to the mounting bolt for the back leg and put the lamp socket on that (a bored out old flywheel from a recorder).

The 110V mini-florescent lights went bad in my small CNC mill enclosure. I was always leery of the non-waterproof fixtures and looked for a safer replacement.

I found this pair of 12V DC off road lights on sale at NAPA for around $50-$60 I think. They came with miles of waterproof wiring harness. I added a 12V power supply from a game console I found at the local used computer store for $5. Very bright, white light. A bargain when compared to $200-$500 purpose made machine lights.

0508.jpg

I've been grabbing lamps for a buck or two for the last couple of years and keep adding them to the machines with LED bulbs.
I like the ones that have a 'flex' neck. Remove the existing base and make up a mount.
I really want to get around to making up one of those LED rings to put on the spindle of the mill.
Seems that it's getting more and more difficult to see as time goes by ... :big grin:

I hear all the comments about it getting harder to see!

Thats one of the reasons for my added lighting.

I also have a set of “bifocal” saftey glasses. Normal up top, about a 1.5-1.75 “reading” section. They’re nothing short of godsends. I can actually see the workpiece up close without getting too close and the small atlas dials are crystal clear and easy to see. They’re pretty much the only safety glasses I use now...

Even with one good light, I still had issues. So I added a second. Here's the lights on my mill. I made the brackets out of scrap; the one on the right has a magnet for a brush holder. I also made the bracket to hold the kool-mist. I took the magnetic base off because it attracts so much metal.IMG_1599.JPGIMG_1600.JPGIMG_1601.JPG

Regards,
Terry

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

My Logan came with an original Adjusco lamp bolted to the motor mount, and I got another at an estate sale, with a bracket. I replaced both goosenecks, wiring, and used new 800 lumen halogen bulbs, the same used over my workbench. I’m happy with it so far, but may do a magnifier lamp when I get to turning small pieces. I cleaned up both shields and painted one.
Tim

C745AD67-B27F-4553-9A8D-B685A322F244.jpeg490008A1-A7CF-4875-AD5D-C0263619EB40.jpegI8580AAC8-C550-49EE-B72E-F7CC109AFB52.jpeg

Back