[CNC] Gounding Pros/cons Confusion

As a note, I have no idea how electricity works.

However on my cnc, seperating the VFD/conduit-its-power-runs-through ground from the rest of the system grounds seems to have entirely resolved any interference issues that I had.
As far as I understands VFD's are pretty much the ideal noise generator

pros No shocks
Cons none
I ground ever thing including the hot water heater Note more than plumber had a shock or very bad life

There are two terms that often get confused and that is ground and return.

In automotive to save weight and cost the chassis is used as return and also is called ground.

In reality "safety ground" is the bare or green wire and the simple part is everything that is metal needs to be connected or bonded to it.

The wire size needs to be such that any power wire touching anything metal will trip the breaker.

Shielding ground is nothing more than it states.

It offers zero safety protection by design but it cab allow ambient noise a place to go.

Look up generating electricity and simply passing a conductor past a magnet creates electricity.

So a magnetic field passing a conductor generates electricity.

A balanced line gets equal in both lines do no voltage difference.

A single ended one picks up noise as that moving magnetic field so the shield allows some of the energy to be absorbed into the shield.

Return is the path for hot power to return to the source.

Keep ALL power which is both supply and return as well as all signal and control circuits isolated from the machine safety ground.

There are snap on magnets or other devices that can also be used to isolate signals.

If you have vfd keep the motor leads in a shielded cable or conduit and strap groubd the motor and vfd to the machine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back