GR72P questions

wobblyweb

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I have a Sheldon GR72P that I am trying to get the motor running using a VFD, and I need to access the front of the motor by opening the front door of the pedestal base. To gain access, I need to remove the spindle speed selector shifter. I was wondering if any of you have ever removed the spindle speed selector lever that passes through the access door. The drownings (parts list) I am looking at show a taper in and or a set screw ????? I cannot see a set screw and the hole is the same diameter on both ends, so I don't believe it's a taper pin. I've been banging on the pin with a punch and hammer for a while and it doesn't move in either direction ????? Do you have any advice ????? I would also like to better understand how the spindle speed selector works. The shifting diagram above it on the lathe shows an "in and out" position ? Does this mean the shifter is pulled in and out and then shifted forward or backward to engage different spindle speeds ????? Additionally, I would appreciate a recommendation for a source of a parts manual and operating manual ?
Best regards
Rick

20190307_204011.jpg

20190307_203940.jpg

Was finally able to remove the shift lever by drilling out the pin using a #7 12 inch aircraft drill !!! This got me to the right side of the door and gave clearance for my drill motor. Even after drilling out the pin, the shifter was a bear to remove from the shaft !!!!
Once I got to the front of the motor I can see it was made by Lima Electric Motor Co. , operates on 208 volt 3 phase. Soooooo, my Huayang VFD was defective, (no big surprise after reading everyone's opinion on the list !!!)
Would like some opinions of what VFD to use with a 5hp 3phase motor?
Also, once I got to the gear box I understand that it does pull in and out, along with shifting side to side to get to the needed spindle speed.
I an still trying to locate an owners manual and parts manual to this GR-72-P lathe, any information would be greatly appreciated !!!!
Thanks
Rick20190417_155613.jpg20190417_160909.jpg

i have the same lathe. i was able to access the wires for my vfd conversion in that little cabinet on the end on the lathe.

Back