Grafton Drill Press Rebuild

hermetic

Active User
Registered
Hi all, this one led me on a merry dance, but I won through in the end, and although I started off with no intentions of totally rebuilding the drill head and the motor, thats what ended up happening! Hope you enjoy it!

Phil,
East Yorkshire, UKIMGP2665.JPG

Nice job on the drill. I don't think I would have been as patient as you with that motor. :)

Very classy drill press and nice job.

sorry, I had to laugh. I don't know how many times I go out in the shop to fix something and it turns into an all day sucker. Love the "quit while I'm behind". My new motto.

I was in the position described by your moniker! Nogoingback! When I started work at 15 in 1967, one of the first things I was taught was rebuilding large 3 phase electric motors, and I can tell you that the big ones are much easier to work on than the small ones! What tripped me up was the fact that I couldn't see the damage on the lower bearing until I used a magnifying glass, it spun freely, and looked shiny and new looking, with hindsight, I reckon they had packed the bearings with the thickest axle grease they couyld find to quiet them down. It is my go to everyday machine, and although it did try my patience to the limit, the end result was worth it. Thanks to you both for the kind words, and glad you enjoyed it, there will be more to come!
Phil Whitley,
East Yorkshire
UK

Back