Grain structure of metal

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
How would one determine the grain structure or orientation of the grain of a piece of metal. I have a project making some hold down combs for my SG. These holdowns have a slice in them leaving about .030 connecting each side. With one side having a angle on it when the magnet is applied it pulls the angled side down and into the part. Just wondering how to check which way the grain goes on any particular metal? Thanks

Interesting enough , are these what you're making ? Yanked them out of a drawer yesterday . You should be able to see the grain direction of any metals though when cleaned properly .

IMG_0009.JPG

Interesting enough , are these what you're making ? Yanked them out of a drawer yesterday . You should be able to see the grain direction of any metals though when cleaned properly .

Your teasing me:p. I’m doing a auction in acouple hours and they have a set for sale. Hopefully I get them if not I’m making them.

Well you know where a set is if you lose the auction ! :grin:

How would one determine the grain structure or orientation of the grain of a piece of metal.

You polish the surface, apply an acid for a short period of time, the apply a die and look at it with magnification.

Well I didn’t end up getting them. I was the winning bid at 50 till the last 3min then we went back and fourth till 80 he got for 90. Whawha.
Thanks PWaller but what if you just have a piece of metal 1/8x12” that was cut previous off some stock. Is there a way to determine like heating magnifying? Idk

Thanks Mitch you post as I was. You answered the question. Thanks

If all surfaces have not been machined it will be obvious by the marks left by the rolls.

Normally the long axis is the rolled direction, for obvious reasons manufacturers rarely make rectangular parts at a right angle to the rolled direction.

Well I didn’t end up getting them. I was the winning bid at 50 till the last 3min then we went back and fourth till 80 he got for 90. Whawha.
Thanks PWaller but what if you just have a piece of metal 1/8x12” that was cut previous off some stock. Is there a way to determine like heating magnifying? Idk
See post 4

Back