Grandpa's old 16" gap, part 2

The gear side of the spindle measures out at approximately 1.310".
The groups.io is a community that has largely replaced a lot of the yahoo groups that used to exist or still exist but are no longer active. I guess most of the moderators got a little frustrated with yahoo and how the groups were being run. There are a number of lathe forums as well as the metal shaper group, at least these are the ones I'm involved with. There may be other things as well, I just haven't looked for them. Just google groups.io, I think you can join with a yahoo account (?).

With winter rapidly approaching and a few other projects in the works, I've decided to re-assemble the SB. Mainly so I don't lose parts, or worse yet, get parts mixed in with the wrong machine. Hopefully this spring I can do some serious cleaning/fixing (if necessary). I am doing some basic cleaning and inspecting, mainly so I have an idea as to what I'm dealing with and I'm not trying to re-install something on a 100-year old pile of swarf. One thing that I did find is that I am missing the 4 bolts/screws that hold down the gap section. Turns out what I thought were bolts, are actually the alignment taper pins:

KIMG2042.JPG

The gap does come in and out snug and the carriage passes over the gap with out any trouble, so I don't think (I hope) there was any real serious bed twist. What I do need to know is what kinda bolts/screws (4 of them) were originally in there to hold down the gap? Looks as though they were some sorta close-tolerance shoulder bolt/screw? Does anyone else have a similar year SB gap bed lathe and can show me a picture? My dad frequents this site and has access to the storage unit the lathe was in, he will be able to look for them. If he knows what to look for. Barring that, I do have 2 other lathes and I can easily make something that will work. If I go that route, what should I make the bolts/screws out of (material)?

Back