Granite Lapping Plate

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Could you buy one of those cheap B grade small granite plates and convert it to a lapping plate by cutting the groove in it somehow? Maybe with a radial saw with a diamond blade?

I am currently interested in making some lapping plates due to watching some Tom Lipton videos.
How would you keep the granite lap true?
The 3 lapping plate methods of keeping them true Seema easy enough, but how would you maintain the surface?

As far as cutting the groves, cutting with a wet saw would be necessary. Trying to cut dry, either with a grinder or with a radial arm saw, would cause the blade to chip the edges as it cuts. Cutting try produces a rough cut.
A high quality belt driven wet saw produces a better cut, but good wet saws are expensive and a lot of saws, the blades don't raise that high. My target tilematic could probably do it. But it's a lot of weight on the table.

Interesting idea.... The b grade plates are only $50 around here.

you can simply wet the back of a piece of wet/dry sandpaper of your choice and stick it to the surface plate.
you then can lap until you can't lap no more.
when you are finished lapping, remove the wet/dry sandpaper and put another on for the next operation

My take on this subject is that lapping plates and any other type of lap depend on being soft enough to imbed abrasive in their surface; granite does not possess this ability. Cast iron is the material of choice for flat laps. Laps are not a replacement for surface grinding, but rather a finishing touch for finish and geometry (this I add because of a similar thread currently on HSM).

you can simply wet the back of a piece of wet/dry sandpaper of your choice and stick it to the surface plate.
you then can lap until you can't lap no more.
when you are finished lapping, remove the wet/dry sandpaper and put another on for the next operation
That is quite true; I have done it many times, but it would not equal the accuracy of a well maintained cast iron lap, charged with abrasive.

I am currently interested in making some lapping plates due to watching some Tom Lipton videos.
How would you keep the granite lap true?
The 3 lapping plate methods of keeping them true Seema easy enough, but how would you maintain the surface?

As far as cutting the groves, cutting with a wet saw would be necessary. Trying to cut dry, either with a grinder or with a radial arm saw, would cause the blade to chip the edges as it cuts. Cutting try produces a rough cut.
A high quality belt driven wet saw produces a better cut, but good wet saws are expensive and a lot of saws, the blades don't raise that high. My target tilematic could probably do it. But it's a lot of weight on the table.

Interesting idea.... The b grade plates are only $50 around here.
$30 shipped on eBay.

$30 shipped on eBay.
Oh that's gotta definitely be shipped in the states. Lol. Hang on, I'll find something available to Canada from eBay.
I bought my B plate from busy bee 45 mins from Mr for $54.

Here you go. The best was -
B plate $54 USD. $129 to ship.
The most was AA $125. $850 shipped.

Back