Gravers for turning

I did a bit of wood turning with them over 25 years ago, Had some nice pieces with good finish. Had seen a little bit on the sherline site but never looked any further. Now you have my interest up.
Just have to figure out how to make a rest for my lathe.

I did a bit of wood turning with them over 25 years ago, Had some nice pieces with good finish. Had seen a little bit on the sherline site but never looked any further. Now you have my interest up.
Just have to figure out how to make a rest for my lathe.

Contact WR Smith. He published the article on making his rest in the Home Shop Machinist but he also included it in a spiral bound book he sells. Everything you need to know about how to make the rest is in there. Or you can spend about 5 times the cost to make it and just buy one from Sherline.

The video I cited in the opening thread is worth buying. It shows you exactly how he sharpens the gravers and how he uses them. It took me about 10 seconds to think about making his rest after watching that video.

Give it a go - making the rest will teach you a lot about turning and file work. I really enjoyed making it.

Gravers are an interesting aside, involving soft materials and/or tiny diameters. Suitable, perhaps, for watch making and horology, essentially dangerous for anything ferrous. Not related to Eli Whitney or interchangeable parts.....

Mikey

It's great to see gravers at work.

I think Clicksprings videos are some of the best on youtube .

Hal

Gravers are an interesting aside, involving soft materials and/or tiny diameters. Suitable, perhaps, for watch making and horology, essentially dangerous for anything ferrous. Not related to Eli Whitney or interchangeable parts.....

With all due respect, I beg to differ. I've used gravers on many different kinds of steels, including hardened steels and most other common materials seen in a hobby shop. I also use them on any cylindrical work piece I can hold in my chuck; small, medium or large.

These tools are not used for precision turning. Rather, they are most useful for embellishing or decorative work. They also allow you to turn features that would otherwise require a form tool or a grinder.

I've used these tools for I would guess near 15 years now and I use them often. I don't consider them an aside; rather, I think they are useful tools. Maybe they are not seen often in a pro shop like yours but in a hobby shop, they can be useful.

Mikey

It's great to see gravers at work.

I think Clicksprings videos are some of the best on youtube .

Hal

Meant no disrespect to Clickspring. I just intended to point out that gravers are normally used differently, with different results. I don't know how much experience he has with gravers but the configuration of the tool rest and the angle of attack of the tool has a significant impact on the results.

I don't have a pic of the face of this knob but the finish is similar to the finish on the area behind the knurl. This is the finish you can expect with a square graver; what you see here is 'as cut', no polishing. It looks much cleaner in the flesh; camera flashes pick up highlights and makes it look rougher than it really is. A round graver cuts a much finer, polished finish.

IMG_3881.JPG

Mikey
I like his videos very well. That doesn't mean I agree with every thing he does.
I watched his clock video . I likes the way he made the video and the quality of his work.

I 'll have to try making something using gravers . They add a touch of class.

Hal

Last edited:
From what I saw, he does make a nice video. I am not familiar with him but I've seen others refer to his videos so I'm sure you are right, Hal.

If you want to see a master graver user at work, watch the video from WR Smith. It costs some but if you want to learn, nothing will get you there faster.

This thread reminded me that I need to get myself a lathe, don't know where to begin looking for one but there's only so much one can achieve with just a small mill.
Mike just imagine how many questions i'd have for you and the rest of the gang here.:)

I have in past years warned woodturning students to hold on to chisels firmly;
if one loses one's grip, the chisel can do a 180 and embed itself in your fore -
head! Look at Really Old metal turning pictures and see Mighty Men free -
handing forgings with four- foot handled " Gravers" !.....BLJHB.

Back