Gray Metal Planer Near St Louis, MO

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
You don't see these on Ebay very often anymore. This is a nice size for a larger home shop. List price seems a bit high for this to me, but you can make an offer and see. Motor drive already installed.

Price is a BIT high???? price is crazy! crappy job of conversion too, should have a large diameter heavy pulley for the reverse stroke for quick return. I had one a little smaller than that, eventually sold it to Jake.

John, it is a machinery dealer. They seem to have big dreams about making piles of money on shapers, and apparently planers as well. There's been some $3500+ shapers on ebay for years, the big ones, 24" and up strokes. One would think that being in that business, they would know that nobody but hobbyists want these anymore and price accordingly, but apparently not. Although I did pick up a G&E for a good price from a dealer in Gartenerville, NV some years ago (he threw in a punch press for free, too), so they don't all have their heads in the clouds. If it was a Pond that you sold Jake, I have that one now. I agree that the conversion could have been done better, but finding one with a conversion at all is pretty rare.

I would think, like any business, when they run out of room, they will have a clearance sale.
Everything must go!
Yeah, crazy money.

I bought my G&E 20-24 universal for $1100, it is a late machine and in near perfect condition. I had converted the Pond planer, and converted it back, I had a 4 speed Drive All transmission on it. Not often one sees a old machine with its original countershaft and pulleys.

I got my 24" Cincinatti Standard Duty Universal for $1400, it was a former US Navy machine and from the look of it had very little use. Frankly, I think that's about top dollar for a machine like that. And the bigger they are, they less they are worth. My Cinci is probably tipping the scales at near 7000 lbs, most hobbyists can't move a machine like that.

Back