Graziano 12S

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I pulled the trigger on a Graziano 12S and thought I'd upload some information.

I went from the name being vaguely familiar a few weeks ago to being convinced this was the lathe for me. I'd pretty much decided on a Hardinge HVL-H as it had the precision, work envelope, and size that works for my space. The Graziano has similar performance to a Hardinge, but with a whopping >17" throw at the headstock, and a more modest 13" throw for the length of the 32" between centers. Graziano achieves this because the tailstock ways are ~5" above the carriage ways, and the tailstock ways end about 8" from the headstock, creating a natural gap without having to remove a gap.

1 (Large).jpg1 (Large).jpg2 (Large).jpg3 (Large).jpg4 (Large).jpg7 (Large).jpgCarriage 2 (Large).jpg

This lathe comes with a hydraulic duplicator, which I'd never heard of before. I've since learned that Keith Fenner has one and did a couple videos on it. Don't know if I'll ever use it, but it's kinda cool (that's what the box with the motor is above--a hydraulic pump).

It also has a pneumatic collet closer, which I'll need to figure out.

It comes reasonably well tooled. Wish it had a 4-jaw, but I can buy one (or 6 jaw). I'd also never seen a 2-jaw chuck. Not sure if I'll have any use for that. The collets appear to be pretty much junk.

I love the big dials on the carriage. I still plan to add a DRO at some point.

Here's a link to a video of the lathe in operation at the dealer's:

A Graz has a legendary reputation. I love those large dial - no doubt there are many features that will make it a nice machine to operate (and probably a few that are a pain). Good score. Thank you for the additional pictures.

Thanks guys. I had to buy this without operating it myself, so I'm a little nervous that there is something missed in the remote inspection.

You did it?
Good for you. Those are awesome lathes.
Well done sir.

Jeff,
Thanks. Will need that level back in the not-too-distant future. I also either need to grind a pair of precision bench stones or borrow them as the nose and spindle taper need a little touching up.

Evan

You are right about needing a 4J. I'd love to play with a 6J chuck, but I don't see how it is a game changer for the lathe work I do. The 6J certainly does not replace the need for a 4J independent.

I want a 6J, mainly because I don't have one (reason enough, right?). Question is - what does the 6J offer that the 3J does not (both being scroll chucks), or the greater distribution of clamping force (6 locations vs 3 or 4) - relevant for thin wall tubes or low modulus tubes (plastic pipe)?

Consider switching to a 40 position tool holder. I have a 40P on my 11" lathe and a Phase II on the 15" - preference for the 40P. The reason is it is rarely have to reposition the tool post - for quick bevels or to align a "diamond" tool.

Now, lets see the Graz run in your shop!

a 2 jaw chuck is useful for grabbing odd shaped objects and barstock , the holding power is less than a 3 or 4 jaw chuck,, but they are quick to use

The 6-jaw I’m looking at has 4 set screws so could replace 4jaw for all but big offsets

Back