Graziano 12S

Wow, that’s a beauty machine!
Well done, I’m sure you will have tons of fun with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 jaw chucks can be either scroll or adjustable. The 6 jaw scroll chuck would be similar to the 3 jaw, but have an advantage if you are working with tubing type materials as you'd be less likely to distort the part. A 6 jaw adjustable is kinda like a 4 jaw in that you can dial in the work to make it run true. Again, the 6 jaw grips differently that a 4 jaw, so again better for tubing. If you are doing gun barrel work, or cylinders for airguns, most people would prefer the adjustable 6 jaw. Thats my take.

Ok, Evan, no excuses now. Won't be able to blame the old Logan for parts that aren't to dimension. Oh, and congratulations too, nice looking lathe.

Not too handy for square objects, 'tho.
Well I do have that funky 2-jaw...

Good point John.

In all seriousness I am planning to either buy a 4 or 6 jaw. The question is size--I suppose I could run bigger than 8" with that 17" swing, but not sure I'm so crazy about lifting or paying for a 10" chuck?

Pros/cons of 4-jaw vs. 6-jaw (a lot has been said above)? Optimum chuck size? Make or buy face plate?

Consider switching to a 40 position tool holder. I have a 40P on my 11" lathe and a Phase II on the 15" - preference for the 40P. The reason is it is rarely have to reposition the tool post - for quick bevels or to align a "diamond" tool.
Ok so you are just evil!
:devil:

Here I am happy that it looks like my AXA tool holders will fit on the new lathe and you make me Google Multifix holders. Oh well, what's another $3k?!
:dollars:

Not that I will buy one, but what size would you recommend for a 13" swing? Do the sizes scale like Aloris (I was thinking a BXA would be about right for this lathe)?

Edit: Just found this table on Penn Tools site. Kinda weird sizing, but looks like a size E or B would be good for the 12S?
1592084463134.png

Last edited:
There are many posts on "what size QCTP?" Check your elevation off the compound. I put an "E" on my 11" - mainly because I wanted to use 3/4" tools. I knew it was going to be close, but I assumed I'd be able to sort it out. It was too high, so I skimmed the bottom surface of the holders (~0.075"). I worked out the amount to skim so that the holders for the main tools would sit right down touching the compound - that way no height adjustment device would be needed (perhaps it also has a bit more support?). After all, for the main tools - they will reside in that holder for as long as I own the lathe.

I'm sure the "E" would work great. Perhaps you could make the "B" fit, but since it is a bigger lump of iron, it would be tougher to get in close on certain set ups. Regardless, you can still do the trick of sitting the holder right down on the compound by gluing a shim to the bottom of the holder.

I did not buy the Multifix, the imports are comparable in price to other style of import holders (no complaints - sample size of one, it works great).

I suggest you drive it the way it comes, make chips for a couple years, upgrade as needed. A down side of the multifix style is that it would be tough to make your own holders (copying that spline) - the dovetail is much easier to make. I made some CXA holders for the 15" lathe - sort of to prove I could (however the holders are pretty cheap, so now I buy them as needed).

This lathe comes with a hydraulic duplicator, which I'd never heard of before

Otherwise known as a tracer . That will come in handy for many projects ! Congrats on the lathe , it looks nice . :encourage:

Jeff,
Thanks. Will need that level back in the not-too-distant future. I also either need to grind a pair of precision bench stones or borrow them as the nose and spindle taper need a little touching up.

Evan
I finally bought everything I need (diamond wheel) to grind some precision stones. I use the pair Bob and I did at his shop all the time. They are amazing.

The Graziano arrived today and I'm stoked! I was pretty nervous about buying a lathe sight unseen, but so far it seems to be exactly as advertised. Of course I won't know for sure until I get an RPC and power it up.

I hired riggers to deliver and place the machine. Not cheap, but man it sure was nice not sweating dumping the thing. They made it look easy (and safe!)
IMG_0263 (Large).JPG

IMG_0267 (Large).JPG
IMG_0270 (Large).JPGIMG_0271 (Large).JPG

It has a TravaDial mounted on the back of the machine, presumably for the Duplicator. There are also dial indicators on the Duplicator and on the headstock.
IMG_0280 (Large).JPG

It has some sort of carriage stop system on it with four positions. I've not seen anything like it before, so any information would be appreciated. It also has a threading dial (didn't think it did when I bought it).
IMG_0279 (Large).JPG

The ways appear to be in fantastic shape, and the carriage moves smoothly the full length of the ways, with only slightly less force required close to the headstock suggesting not much wear. Will find out for sure when I get it leveled and do a test bar.
IMG_0281 (Large).JPG

Back