Graziano 12S

The 2-jaw chuck appears to be a Bison or Buck. The 3-jaw is a Chiandao--not sure if that is Taiwanese or Chinese. The collets are Hardinge, but pretty knackered.

The worst issue at this point appears to be the spindle bore taper. Something has spun in there and there are grooves that catch a nail--maybe 0.010" - 0.020". May need to find an MT5 reamer. The collet adapter is a bit rough as well.
Spindle bore close up (Large).jpg

Spindle bore with collet closer removed (Large).jpg

Evan,
You have a D1-4 spindle?
I haven't turned between centers yet with my lathe.
What I'm trying to say, the spindle taper may not be that big of a deal?
I like the way the ways are designed, wide angle taper.
They look to be in very good condition!
Is that a taper attachment-duplicator in the second picture?

Last edited:
Evan,
With a D1-5 spindle,
I haven't turned between centers yet with my lathe.
What I'm trying to say, the spindle taper may not be that big of a deal?
I like the way the ways are designed, wide angle taper.
They look to be in very good condition!
This has a D1-4 spindle. I'd like to be able to use collets, which rely on good mating into the spindle and collet adapter.

Yeah, I was reading up on your lathe and edited my post.
It has some sweet features, instant reverse, Gamet bearings, this lathe was very expensive.
It has the reeves drive right?
Man, that spindle is rather unfortunate. I get it now about the colletts

Yes it has a powered Reeves drive. I think it's a little hydraulic system that moves the pulley face in/out. It also has an RPM meter that works (Hall effect sensor).

I'm not going to worry about the spindle until I get things powered, aligned, and a few chips made. I think it should be fairly straight forward to ream the MT5 spindle bore in-situ. Reamers are not outrageously expensive at ~$150 for a set of two--carbide roughing and finishing. On a positive note the tailstock bore seems to be pristine.

Edit: The Reeves drive is a mechanical drive, not hydraulic. Haven't figured out quite how it works yet, but from the assembly drawing it looks like there is a bicycle-type chain driven by a motor that presumably screws/unscrews one of the pulley flanges to change speed.

Last edited:
Here's the culprit that caused the MT5 damage--the 5C collet adapter.
IMG_0282 (Large).JPG

The good news is that the 5C portion is in very good shape (if a little dirty).
IMG_0283 (Large).JPG

Going through the documents that came with the lathe I found the original spec sheet. I'll need to put on my metric converter hat, but these seem pretty amazing from the factory. I'd be interested to know how they compare to other toolroom lathes. Looks like concentricity was 0.0002" when it left the factory.
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG

it will never move that easy again............................

Instead of reaming, wouldn't you want to grind the spindle?
I'm not sure. I've done some searching and haven't found any information on how to refurbish a headstock taper. There's a decent video showing reaming a tailstock, and there are carbide reamers available to purchase, so that seems to be the way to go. It seems like it would make sense that reaming it in-situ would be the best way to maintain precise alignment.

Back