Grease for Wilton 3061 horizontal band saw

silence dogood

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey guys. I've written about this saw (Wilton 3061) earlier. Before I get to the main question, I found out something interesting on this thing. It does not need a spring or a hydraulic cylinder to control the fall of the saw as it cuts through the steel. It's so well balance with just enough weight that the saw does not need those things. Pretty neat.
Now back to the real issue. I believe that this saw was built in the 1960s(?) The only real maintenance that I have done is oil where it needs it and a new blade. So I decided to take it apart, clean it, and check it out. Every thing looks good, including the gears. Both gears, one is brass, look great. The grease is pretty yukky looking. There are no seals, just close tolerances machine in the casting. And there is a grease fitting and I assume is original. But there has over the years been seepage, which I'm to assume was normal. I have not been able to obtain a service or operator manual (already had checked with Wilton). There is a grease that John Deere puts out called Corn Head and it looks like that it will do the job. Any one familiar with it?

A lot of ford 8n tractor owners use it for steering box lube
should work OK

I just back from John Deere local store. Got a 14oz. tube for less than five bucks. So now it's out with the old and in with the new. Maybe I'm being too fussy. But I figure any machine that has lasted this well after 60 to 70 years of use deserves the proper TLC.

Back