Grease or oil for tool post base to compound?

rficalora

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
There was grease there when i disassembled it so I assume that's what should be used, but I've found enough wrong on this lathe I figured it's better to ask.IMG_20230210_134519137.jpg

Be aware that grease will retain swarf were oil won't. I've always used oil and I'm sure most have.
The only place for grease could be used is on a scroll chuck for the pinions and gear, everything else should only have oil only. Some of the older model lathes may use grease in some of the bearings.

Makes sense. That's what I understood. Then I saw a YouTube video of a guy restoring a lathe and he used grease on that part. I wasn't sure if he was wrong or if I was learning something. Then I took mine apart and found grease in it. I don't see any oil passages that would get oil to it, but I trust this group WAY more than YouTube so oil it is!

Mine is always wiped clean before being installed. At best, there is a little residual oil from a wipe down, which helps control any rusting issues.

I've always looked at it as i don't want the cross slide to move once set and if there's an excess of lubricant between the two parts, the possibility of it moving are greatly increased.

Grease is a hard "no" for me.

If you want the compound to hold position under heavy cuts it is best to leave the parts dry.

Back