Grease or oil on a scroll chuck rebuild?

TonyBen

Registered
Registered
I'm detail cleaning my Grizzle scroll chuck and removing the decades old grease and oil. What kind of oil or grease do I use and where?
J21STlAh.jpg

All done with the main body.
hWTbeCPh.jpg

Thanks.

Tony.

I used moly grease on mine. A little goes a long way, basically if you put too much in you will be wearing it.

John

Chips do get in there. Clean it and put very little on the pinion.

One of the big problems with scroll chucks is that chips get stuck in the scroll, causing stiffness, inaccuracy, and damage to the components. Oil would stick less, but does not handle the high point loading stresses nearly as well as grease, and flings out of the chuck badly. What we need is a dry lube that stays where you put it and takes high loads, probably a liquid that dries to a thin dry film that is tough, slippery, and does not break down.

I tend to clean my scroll chucks on a regular basis and have come to prefer Super Lube products for all my chucks. I use their oil (sparingly) to lube the jaw guides and scroll and their grease for everything behind the scroll.

The biggest cause of wear on our chucks is the user. If you have grit and chips in there, take the chuck down and clean it. If you think that one kind of lubricant or another is the magic stuff that will prevent wear, you're fooling yourself.

I use Fuchs Gleitmo 805 grease (don't need fancy grease like this though) on the backside of the scroll for the pinion(s). I use oil for the actual scroll (front side for the jaws), Vactra #4 to be exact. I used to use a very light coat of spray lithium & also used dry moly in the past. I prefer oil though, just have to deal with the oil fling when freshly lubed.

Man i sure hope those Rounds weren't the "swarf" clogging up that chuck but i guess it gives a whole new meaning to the saying, "Get the Lead Out!" Lol

Back