Great MT2 blanks for my 8520

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Just received my Order from over the pond. I could not find these here, and I have to say very impressive.
https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=gx53&PN=Quick_Change_Toolposts.html#aGX53
These are better than any other Mt2 that I have. They just fit the bore properly. My chineese units, and a German unit don't go in deep enough to fully engage the threads, maybe 2-3 threads if that. These go deep. And the runnout is under 1 thou for each. These are blanks.
I am probably going to do my boring tool with a taper rather than the 1/2" arbor I put on it. I also am considering putting a JT taper on one and mounting a drill chuck so it's dead in there. I am sure more ideas will come. Anyway I'm happy, and that's a rare thing when ordering these days. I only had to chase the threads and clean off the oil. I wish I knew if SOBA was a chineese or UK firm. The quality is good. So I thought I would let you guys know.

i have not heard of them before woodchucker, thanks for the link! :grin:

i have purchased English tools and tooling , in general the quality is very good to excellent

These look similar to the machinable arbors I purchase from Victor Machinery. I do not know if they are the same. I have been happy with the MT2 and MT3 arbors I have purchased from this site.

Victor Machinery machinable arbors
I was looking for 3/8 -16, and what you had is all I could find. The tangs seem more popular here in the states, so it was nice to finally find what I needed. Yes, I could have machined one myself, but I could not do a good job on hardening.

how is the shipping charges to usa
Not bad, I don't have experience from the UK so to me it was reasonable. When I look at some on ebay charging big $$ for a medium fixed rate box, my blood boils, so this was reasonable.

Subtotal: £21.00
Shipping & Handling: £15.60
Total: £36.60

Looking for a 3mt blank ~2" diameter if anyone knows where I can get one. Let me know.

I was looking for 3/8 -16, and what you had is all I could find. The tangs seem more popular here in the states, so it was nice to finally find what I needed. Yes, I could have machined one myself, but I could not do a good job on hardening.

I also wanted 3/8in x 16 tpi hole for drawbar. I purchased the Victor Machinery blanks with the tang, cut off the tang and drilled/tapped the hole without any problems.

Looking for a 3mt blank ~2" diameter if anyone knows where I can get one. Let me know.
it's funny, the 3mt from where I got the 2mt the larger 3mt has a 7/8 end, while the 2mt has 1"

I was building a tapping head this weekend (it's nice being in the shop after 2.5 weeks of a nasty cold)... and was measuring shanks on taps.
And some of the smaller taps have bigger shanks than the larger taps.. (consistently so it looks to be a standard).. You have to wonder why a smaller tap has a bigger shank, than a big tap.

EBay has sets starting at $42 7 collets 2morse , 3 morse are a bit more. I want a set for my atlas horizontal mill.

Back