Greenard #2

DeadGuyAle

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Still collecting equipment for my eventual shop build and came across a nice Geenard #2 that I couldn’t resist.
Picture is from the add. Had a buddy check it out and make the purchase as it’s a couple hours away. Will pick up next week.
0AFD10AD-8623-46CC-87FE-6A758D41CB81.jpeg

Needed a press for small bronze bushing remove/install and this one looks like it will do nicely without using much space on the bench. Hand wheel is kind of unique and good old USA manufacturing.
$200 so might have overpaid a bit but it’s not from china or so big that it requires equipment to manage.

Hah, I was looking at that one on CL for a while, it is certainly interesting! I couldn't figure out if it would have been tall enough for my project (my current cheap import 1-ton wont do the job) , so I passed, despite it being near my inlaws :) I thought the steering wheel mod was an interesting change. Curious how it works out for you!

Hah, I was looking at that one on CL for a while, it is certainly interesting! I couldn't figure out if it would have been tall enough for my project (my current cheap import 1-ton wont do the job) , so I passed, despite it being near my inlaws :) I thought the steering wheel mod was an interesting change. Curious how it works out for you!

Only has a 5” throat so not going to get too crazy with it. Will see how it pans out.

Only has a 5” throat so not going to get too crazy with it. Will see how it pans out.
Ah! Wouldn't have worked for me anyway, I have a 6 3/4" broach I need to use (a B size).

Five months later I finally met with my buddy who picked up the press for me. First time I have seen it in person.
the steering wheel conversion was done with a level of skill I wish I possessed
FC471884-5559-428F-A390-DFEB35145A27.jpeg

366EC093-B2B3-4A56-A879-87010D548245.jpeg

89FF74FA-5928-4835-8544-D8CC277C5496.jpeg

Getting it cleaned up, some minor wear and no signs of abuse.
AA7EAA1B-757B-4117-B423-AAA85ED68DC5.jpeg

A3685F0C-9EE2-4088-90D4-601AC1F60276.jpeg

Sent an email to Greenerd about getting the anvils and original hand wheel or lever. Will see what they come back with.

Nice, Nashua 3 towns over from me. Crazy they still make them there. Probably only custom presses not the cast ones.

I have my #3 and just used it to remove a cylinder sleeve.

In the old days, Nashua had a few small foundries and a bit of manufacturing. Think they cast manhole covers here for a while. Some of the brass door locks on my old house were cast and manufactured here in Nashua. Nothing fancy, but kind of neat they were actually made here. Still working after 148 years. That's the new half of the house. The original part was built in 1853, making it 170 yro this year. Probably should throw a party for the house, a house party.

Looking at the pictures of the No. 1 and 3 on the Greenerd web site they no longer have made in USA cast into them.
Still, good to see such a long lived company continuing in business. They have some pretty slick automated presses and make a benchtop model!

Interesting history thanks @WobblyHand

Back