Greenfield #8 tap wrench handles

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
so, I wanted to get some opinions. I want to replace the pipe handles on my Greenfield #8 with solid handles. 3/4" pipe has a nominal OD of 1.050. Standard size 1" rod OD is right on at 1.000 So, does anyone feel that the 0.050 will make that much difference on a NPT tapered thread, or should I go with 1 1/8 stock and turn the area to be threaded down to 1.050?

My inclination is to go with the 1" stock (which I already have), and let the tapered thread do what it is designed to do.

Thoughts?

I've thought about that and while it will be heavier, the current pipe handles are just plain ugly.......I guess I could use 'fresh' pipe. For the size of this tap wrench, not sure that extra weight would be too much of an issue, but it absolutely is a consideration.

Boy, I wish my handles looked like that. These are rough cut off on the ends, and dings and dents the whole length. I think someone took a "cheater" pipe and made the handles from it. I like the idea of solid, however, I agree with you, the weight may not be worth it. Worst case, I can go get some new, fresh pipe and make 2 new ones rather lickity split!

I am surprised it is pipe thread.
I found out that some of the makers of old school tap and die wrenches don't necessarily use pipe threads on their handles. Some are just a straight oddball fine threads cut on the piece of pipe. Some of the handles are not even pipe sizes. Figure that out! I couldn't. No rhyme or reason for doing so.

Well, turns out my "greenfield" #8 is actually a TRW #8 (I just bought this). They are pipe thread for sure.

Back