Grinder accident

SE18

Active User
Registered
I was using my angle grinder to remove a weld. I was wearing wrap-around goggles from Harbor Freight that I thought would prevent sparks from reaching inside (the wrap arounds touch skin on all sides). But a spark somehow got inside, landing on my new expensive glasses made of plastic and melted a spot on the plastic. I'm going to see if the spot can be buffed out.

Unfortunately, I doubt if the spot can be dressed out, actually, I think you will find them not interested in doing it even if it is possible. They will try to sell you a new lens. Another good reason (beyond the desire to keep on seeing) to wear double eye protection with tools like angle grinders, cut off tools, Dremel type tools, bench grinders, snag grinders, and similar tools.

There are certain things from HF that you don't buy, and that is anything that you think you'll need for more than 1 time before throwing away. I'm glad you're OK, but I hope you learned something.

Not only would they have to buff out the melted spot but they would also have to strip and reapply any coating you paid to put on the lens. Then that spot on the lense and around it isn't going to be focused properly for your prescription leaving a fuzzy spot in your vision. I think you are best off getting a replacement lens.

I recently broke an arm off my expensive glasses when I hit myself in the head with a 2x4. Local optic shop wanted $200 to replace the broken arm on the glasses. I found the manufacture and model number of the frames on the broken arm and ordered an entirely new identical frame from EZContacts for $70 with free shipping. A bit of youtubing gives me confidence that I can swap the lenses to the new frames myself. I know I paid over $200 for the frames from the local optical store when I bought them.

So how did a spark get around your eye protection onto your everyday glasses? You aren't supposed to take a shower in the sparks when you are grinding! :cool:

Good job on using both safety glasses and your every day glasses. Eye surgery and the possible loss of sight makes having to buy a new lens seem pretty inconsequential!

How new are they? Sometimes there is a chance that they might replace the lens at a discount.

It’s good that you had the goggles on or that spark might have got past your glasses and into your eye.

Oh, MikeInOR, don’t bother telling us why you hit yourself in the head with a 2x4

^^^ ACHiPro, I have that shield as well. Best I’ve ever used for the price, very well made.

I was using my angle grinder to remove a weld. I was wearing wrap-around goggles from Harbor Freight that I thought would prevent sparks from reaching inside (the wrap arounds touch skin on all sides). But a spark somehow got inside, landing on my new expensive glasses made of plastic and melted a spot on the plastic. I'm going to see if the spot can be buffed out.

never gets on my glasses. always goes straight for the eyeball

Back