Grinder accident

Oh, MikeInOR, don’t bother telling us why you hit yourself in the head with a 2x4

Because it was there!!!! :bipolar: DUH!!!!

Working too late assembling a frame to lift my new to me lathe out of my trailer... one of the braces slipped while I was trying to get the screw gun on it... had just enough momentum to knock some sense into me and break my glasses. I took a shower and went to bed after that instead of finishing up and trying to move the lathe when I was too tired.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago, a spark found it's way through a very small ventilation hole in the (soft) frame of the goggles and raised a blister on the edge of my eyelid. Could have been worse!
Personal protective equipment may limit the severity of an injury but it's best not to make assumptions, think about what you are doing and if further precautions may be needed.

I had my 'close up' glasses on a granny strap when I went and used the angle grinder. Forgot they were around my neck.
I've even got a special hook on the big tool box to hang them so that they wouldn't get dinged up. *Memory Loss*
Ruined them.
Luckily there's a discount eyeglass shop here in Knoxville. Under $60 for a new pair.
The ones I ruined were $230.

Many in this field consider a mini-grinder THE single most dangerous tool in the shop. I will wear that reminder forever on my wrist. Wire wheel, insufficient attention. Wheel caught an edge, jumped out of my SINGLE hand holding the grinder. At full speed, the wheel caught my other wrist and launched the grinder across the shop. The wound was raggedly spectacular. About 9 things done wrong. Cheap lesson, never to be forgotten

I was using my angle grinder to remove a weld. I was wearing wrap-around goggles ... But a spark somehow got inside.

My hand grinders turn the same way (counterclockwise looking into the working end) as a drill. But,
when you need to watch what you're grinding, and apply pressure while holding the grinder
in your right hand, that sends sparks right toward my face. Other than converting to left-hand
work, or doing an awkward backhander grip, there's just no way to get around having a sparks
versus faceshield exercise.

So, does anyone make a hand grinder that is ergonomically correct for right-handed
users? With clockwise rotation? A memorable feature is that the wheel would
be retained with a lefthand fastener.

Not sure I follow that. The guard should keep sparks away from you.

If you're holding the grinder body in your right hand and the side handle in your left, using the edge away from you, the sparks should be going to the side, not back at you.

If the body of the grinder is at 6 o'clock, the side handle is at 9 o'clock, the guard is going from maybe 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock, and the cutting action is around 1 to 2 o'clock.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My goggles have indirect vents and have done the job for a good while now. As you can see the grit gets everywhere, even in the joint between lens and frame.

When I am grinding I am focused on the job and not so much on which direction the sparks are flying. I prefer googles to a full face mask most of the time. I am still looking for better goggles that are idiot proof. Price is no object.

IMG_0349.JPG

Back