Grinder accident

I have one more experience to share while on topic of grinders. I was doing some grinding (I forget it it was bench or angle grinder it happened so long ago) on a cold winter nite in my garage wearing a thick shirt. Lots of sparks. Suddenly, I started to feel nice and warm and comfortable. Then a bit hot. I looked down and my shirt was on fire. Burned a nice 5" diameter hole, no injury. I still have the evidence.

It seems no what I've ever tried the sparks , slag, all of it bounces around till it gets in . My three hundred dollar welding Helmut YUPP you should see my glasses and I buy glass lens at least some only leave tiny spots. Even grinding I use a full face shield and goggles. They are sly invaders , take a look at my socks and feet. I've even been on fire from the crap. I just thank god I've never had a bad one in my eyes.

Silver bullet: I think the fluid in the eye would extinguish a spark pretty quick, but I'm no doctor. I thought I was the only one with spark problems but I see there are others. I bought my glasses a month ago and the spot is in left lens. My right eye has floaters (a problem some of you over 60 might experience), so I'm used to seeing spots. I'll just soldier on with the glasses and supplement full face shield with goggles. Problem is, it's uncomfortable and harder to see with multiple layers of eye protection. One operation where I do use multiple protection is with my table saw. I had some nasty kickbacks with it in the past.

I grind and cut so much that I keep a super magnet around to
pull metal out of my eye if needed. it works...

We keep a full face shield near the grinder at the Railroad Museum. It is so easy to just take it off the hook and slip over your head...since I wear glasses, the goggles are just too annoying. Plus, the shield protects the rest of your face as well.

If your glasses aren't too old they might replace them. I was weed eating a couple of weeks ago and sweating lie a stuck pig and could hardly see through my glasses, so took them off too finish. Laid them down on a table outside my shop---when I finished came back to get them and see one of my dogs chewing on something---yep my glasses or what was left of them.
I called the place that I bought them from and they said if they were under a year old bring them in and they would replace them (free for any reason)). They were just about 2 weeks under a year. I was very pleasantly surprised.

We use these at work. I plan on buying one for home. Very nice! Uvex bionic face shield. 37.00 and change

71IBSmmOdCL__AC_UL115_.jpg

We use these at work. I plan on buying one for home. Very nice! Uvex bionic face shield. 37.00 and change
I have one also, best face shield I have ever used!

It's possible the scratch can be removed or lessened in severity without changing the optics. If it can't ,keep those glasses for shop use and buy a new pair.

Back