Grinder Questions

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I want to learn how to grind my own tools but the only one I own is an angle grinder. Lol.
Anway, I see the pro guys use a bench grinder but a lot of folks seem to use belt grinders.
What say you? I see a lot of belt grinders that are wider. Are those okay for tool grinding?
Thanks for the input.

An angle grinder would for sure grind the tools (I assume lathe type tools), but I think it would be difficult to control and leave the edge with the correct geometry that comes to a sharp corner, not rounded off. Angle grinders are also pretty aggressive grinders, so more difficult to control on fine work. I am sure it could be done, but much better by someone who is already experienced at grinding tools. Being a beginner and also using makeshift tools starts you off at a double disadvantage... If you are going to do it anyway, mount the angle grinder stationary with the blade vertical, and with a rest for the tool, and then please try really hard not to hurt yourself in the process. Bench grinders can be found for dirt cheap prices used on Craigslist and in other want ads.

Thanks Bob,
I was just saying it was the only grinder I owned, I wouldn't attempt to grind tools with it. A bench grinder would be a lot easier to find.

I've tried using a belt grinder to grind HSS lathe tools, but with poor results. I prefer a standard 6 inch bench grinder with a medium stone on one side and a fine stone on the other. Medium side to rough cut the tool, and the fine to put some good quality cutting edges on it. Bench grinders are low cost and give the best results IMO.

GG

Back