Grinder revisited

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Still looking at bench grinders, I've pretty much narrowed it down to an 8" Dewalt ($127) or an 8" Jet ($239).

Dewalt

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8-in-205-mm-Bench-Grinder-DW758/202248627

Jet

http://www.homedepot.com/p/JET-1-HP...ench-Grinder-115-Volt-JBG-8A-577102/204058695

At this time my only need is sharpening 1/4" and perhaps 3/8" lathe tools. The Jet is 1 hp, vs 3/4hp for the Dewalt but it is $100 more, not sure 1/4 hp is really worth paying nearly twice as much.

It also appears the Jet tool rests are not adjustable? The Dewalt are, nit they are aluminum, the Jet tool rests are cast iron or steel.

I'm still learning about cutting tool blanks, but non-adjustable tool rests seems like it would be an issue. I've looked at both units in person on display and they seem to be of similar quality, although the accessories were not installed (Tool rests and clear shields).

Open to other suggestions, I'd prefer to stay under $200, but could go as high as $300 if it made a significant difference. I have looked at a couple of cheaper units (Ryobi, Delta etc) but all are 1/2 hp and reading comments here, you get what you pay for, usable but limited utility.

Craig's list usually has grinders listed cheep ,some times you can find an older 1/2hp that will go toe to toe with new 3/4hp grinders. Tool bits can be ground useing stationary belt sanders also.

Look at the rikons at wood craft, there are 2 models, get the bigger one. They are slow speed and of decent quality for a chinese made grinder, I do believe they come with a 5 year warranty as well and they have great customer service at rikon. For sharpening tool cutters slow speed is better in my opinion because of the reduced heat.

If you're mainly going to grind tool bits then CBN wheels seems to be the way to go. They're expensive, though. The best packages I've seen are here: https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/rikon-grinders

I would definitely go for the 1HP option. While 1/2 -3/4HP will grind a bit, a 1HP motor is much better and will cut faster.

Still looking at bench grinders, I've pretty much narrowed it down to an 8" Dewalt ($127) or an 8" Jet ($239).

Dewalt

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8-in-205-mm-Bench-Grinder-DW758/202248627

Jet

http://www.homedepot.com/p/JET-1-HP...ench-Grinder-115-Volt-JBG-8A-577102/204058695

At this time my only need is sharpening 1/4" and perhaps 3/8" lathe tools. The Jet is 1 hp, vs 3/4hp for the Dewalt but it is $100 more, not sure 1/4 hp is really worth paying nearly twice as much.

It also appears the Jet tool rests are not adjustable? The Dewalt are, nit they are aluminum, the Jet tool rests are cast iron or steel.

I'm still learning about cutting tool blanks, but non-adjustable tool rests seems like it would be an issue. I've looked at both units in person on display and they seem to be of similar quality, although the accessories were not installed (Tool rests and clear shields).

Open to other suggestions, I'd prefer to stay under $200, but could go as high as $300 if it made a significant difference. I have looked at a couple of cheaper units (Ryobi, Delta etc) but all are 1/2 hp and reading comments here, you get what you pay for, usable but limited utility.

I can only say, à Good one Will last your lifetime. I bought My creusen 6" Dual stone and polish Thom on it about 30 years ago and Used it at least weekly and it is still running as it was new.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Ok, Rikon added to my list. Thanks

Since you added Rikon to the list, I will provide my experience. I purchased the 1/2HP Rikon slow speed grinder to sharpen my wood turning tools. Two other local friends also purchased the same unit. All three of these units have a lot of wobble in the wheels. The motor runs smooth and quiet but the wheels have wobble. You can true them up, but if you remove and replace, they will wobble in a different plane.

One contributing factor is the very shallow shoulder on which the large washer is meant to register. The hole in the washer is too large in my opinion and so the washer does not register consistently. The area between this red arrow and the bearing is turned down to about 16mm. If only they have left it at the same diameter as the bearing ID it may work better.

Grinder_shaft_shallow_registration_shoulder_6348_edited.jpg

Another contributing factor is the bushing in the wheels. Too much slop. I used a piece of masking tape to get a better fit. This helped.

Last week I made replacement washers for both sides of the wheel which have close fit to the 5/8in dia shaft. This helped but the bushing issue causes the wheel to not sit consistently. Each time I remove the wheel for testing the washer it would not go back the same. I think better wheels may solve this part of the problem.

For grinding metal items like HSS bits, the Rikon platforms are too flimsy. Part is the platform and part the thin metal on the guards.

Grinder_wheel_installed_cut_off_excess_tape_6351_small.jpg

Wheel bolts for à car use conical rings to Center the bolt in the hole of the rim.
I think you need à simulair solution like that only sized op or down to Center the stone always the same way, then If there is still à wobble you might use à grindstone tool to get the stone stable.
Might work for all those who have those issues especially with à new stone.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Whichever one you buy, plan on buying or building a real tool rest. I have an newish POS Delta, and an older Jet, but both of them needed the upgraded rests.

IMG_0820.JPG

Thanks, I saw aftermarket tool rests and wondered if they were a good idea to get.

Who knew buying a bench grinder would be so complicated... :cautious:

Back