Grinder revisited

I tell you, Aaron, that Grizzly combo looks like it might just do the trick. If Amazon Prime ever carries it, I might buy one just to get my hands on it. I know for a fact that grinding 1/4" square lathe tools would be no problem on a grinder of this size as long as it meets the criteria listed above.

I would buy a 6" square cornered CBN wheel from Woodturner's Wonders and make a good table for it. Now that I think about it, you could grind the side and end of your tools on the belt and just use the corner of the wheel to grind the rake angles. You would still need a glass platen for longevity but using the wheel for the rake angles makes the obstruction-free thing a non-issue. This makes this grinder even more of a "possible".

I would seriously consider this grinder, Aaron. It is out of stock right now but keep it in mind. I know I will.

I know its hard to find a good belt sander for tool grinding. I think the ideal grinder would be a 2X72 grinder with a custom tool rest but that is a machine that many of us cannot afford. I have yet to see a grinder to match my old Sears 2X42. They sell the exact same grinder today but only as a 1/3HP version and I can stop that motor dead just grinding wood, let alone tool steel. The Grizzly grinder I linked to looks like it might just work so I linked it above. Other than that, I haven't seen a decent grinder yet and trust me, I have been looking for a very long time.

Check this out, I plan to build one of these in aluminum. I have the motor and have been salvaging materials to build one, I almost have what I need. Look at kmg grinders for all the cool rest that can be made for this, pipe notchers too! A very useful grinder.

http://www.knifehelp.net/media/docs/GrinderPlans.pdf

Check this out, I plan to build one of these in aluminum. I have the motor and have been salvaging materials to build one, I almost have what I need. Look at kmg grinders for all the cool rest that can be made for this, pipe notchers too! A very useful grinder.

http://www.knifehelp.net/media/docs/GrinderPlans.pdf

Looks like a great project, Greg. Keep us posted on how it goes, okay? I keep intending to get a 2X72 but something always comes up that puts it on the back burner.

Mikey, I've seen guys build these out of all kinds of materials, hot rolled plate, cold rolled plate, stainless and aluminum. I kinda dig the aluminum because of the easy to machine part and a little lighter in weight. Could I afford to go out and buy the material to build this? Nope, but if your patient and know where to look you can salvage it. I already salvage a very thick aluminum plate for the base, cant remember the exact dimension but it's like 1" to 1 1/2" thick or so, that ought to be plenty ridgid, lol. I paid I think $50 bucks for a brand new Jet 1hp tefc motor with switch that came of a freight damaged piece of equipment, a step pulley will give me different speeds. Slower for sharpening, higher for fab work a fast material removal.

I didn't particularly care for it having the grinding wheel on the other side, but your mention of the CBN wheel does make the idea more attractive. Only a 6" grinding wheel though, and still may not work...

I went down to Sears and looked at a 4x36 x 6 belt / disk sander. The belt portion is an enclosed box, so a very solid base to grind on but it would require cutting away part of the frame which seems a bad idea so that one is out.

It did remind me that I have an older 1 x 30" x 5" Craftsmen belt / disc sander that could work. It is basically like the one I linked to above, but the frame stops right at the edge of the belt so it would probably allow the bit the room needed to get the right angle. It is certainly has enough support behind the belt unlike most of the 1" belt sanders out there.

Looking at all the options, I'm thinking I will get the Rikon 1hp and plan on replacing the wheels with CBN ones when the supplied wheels need replacing. That woodturners site offers a pair of CBN wheels for $249, they also have the Spartan series for $99 each. Nearly $500 either way, but split into multiple purchases over time is less painful.

Assuming the 80 / 180 combination would be most appropriate for grinding HSS tooling bits? Those seem to be the lowest grit offered.

I really appreciate the comments, more than I planned on spending but I prefer that over buying twice.

Mikey, I've seen guys build these out of all kinds of materials, hot rolled plate, cold rolled plate, stainless and aluminum. I kinda dig the aluminum because of the easy to machine part and a little lighter in weight. Could I afford to go out and buy the material to build this? Nope, but if your patient and know where to look you can salvage it. I already salvage a very thick aluminum plate for the base, cant remember the exact dimension but it's like 1" to 1 1/2" thick or so, that ought to be plenty ridgid, lol. I paid I think $50 bucks for a brand new Jet 1hp tefc motor with switch that came of a freight damaged piece of equipment, a step pulley will give me different speeds. Slower for sharpening, higher for fab work a fast material removal.

Your scavenging sites must be much better than mine. I agree that an aluminum grinder would be very cool and more than sufficient in strength. Let us see some pics when you're done, Greg. I know it will be really nice!

I didn't particularly care for it having the grinding wheel on the other side, but your mention of the CBN wheel does make the idea more attractive. Only a 6" grinding wheel though, and still may not work...

I went down to Sears and looked at a 4x36 x 6 belt / disk sander. The belt portion is an enclosed box, so a very solid base to grind on but it would require cutting away part of the frame which seems a bad idea so that one is out.

It did remind me that I have an older 1 x 30" x 5" Craftsmen belt / disc sander that could work. It is basically like the one I linked to above, but the frame stops right at the edge of the belt so it would probably allow the bit the room needed to get the right angle. It is certainly has enough support behind the belt unlike most of the 1" belt sanders out there.

Looking at all the options, I'm thinking I will get the Rikon 1hp and plan on replacing the wheels with CBN ones when the supplied wheels need replacing. That woodturners site offers a pair of CBN wheels for $249, they also have the Spartan series for $99 each. Nearly $500 either way, but split into multiple purchases over time is less painful.

Assuming the 80 / 180 combination would be most appropriate for grinding HSS tooling bits? Those seem to be the lowest grit offered.

I really appreciate the comments, more than I planned on spending but I prefer that over buying twice.

Go with what you feel will be best for you, Aaron. Truth be told, most lathe tools today are ground on a bench grinder with plain old aluminum oxide wheels. You don't need CBN to grind tools and you don't need a belt sander, either. I use one because it is faster and easier and cooler and more controllable but I can grind a tool on a bench grinder just as well. If I was going back to a bench grinder today, it would be at least a 1HP, 8" grinder with a 80 grit CBN Mega-wheel on one side and a 220 CBN Mega-wheel on the other.

Email Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders and ask him which wheels he would recommend. He will answer you quickly.

Thanks, I will do that.

Back