• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

grinding a radius on an end mill

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Sblack

I need to obtain an end mill that cuts a 1/8" radius (inner radius, like a fillet, not a round over if that makes sense). I have not been able to find any reasonably prices end mills so I was wondering it that would be a straight forward thing to modify an standard end mill. I have just obtained a single lip cutter grinder (British clone of a Deckel SO). Would that do it? Has anyone done this before? I was even thinking of trying it by hand on a 2 flute end mill using a radius gauge, but that seems a bit crude. Any suggestions?

thanks

Scott in MOntreal

Billh50

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Always did mine by hand on a bench grinder with a radius gage.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Like BillH50 said. The end mill can be radiused offhand on a grinder, and then clearance is carefully added behind the cutting edges to keep them from rubbing. I have a pile of ball end mills that someone has done that to, probably after a corner was chipped off the square cutting end mill. If the end mill is only slightly chipped off at the corner, a smaller radius can be made in the same way, which will leave a nicely radiused corner on the work. Don't throw a sharp end mill away just because it has lost a chunk off the corner!

[6]
[5] [7]