Grinding HSS Fly Cutter?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Morning guys I am grinding for the first time HSS for a Fly Cutter to mill some 6061 aluminum.Am I heading in right direction,keep grinding till I get to a point then put a small radius on the tip?I guess maybe need little back relief also? TV is tied up so no Youtube till this afternoon,any pics or links would also be great since I have such hard time visualizing what the cutting tool should look like.Thanks guysFly.jpg

You are on the right track. It will need relief, more that you might think. It takes some to clear the curve of the work, and more yet for the tool to cut.

Looking good. Some clearance is needed. I use a left hand square tool (see the huge grinding thread). A little nose radius helps a lot with surface finish. I also picked up a left hand carbide insert lathe tool for steel. It works great. The HSS worked great, but needed to be run at about 150 RPM. I get impatient with that. :)

Well guys another lesson learn from school of hard knocks:( Using the Fly Cutter I thought that I could use it to make a half circle on edge of aluminum bar.Well first few passes went OK but as I was deeper into the bore I could hear something hitting so stop couple times to try find where something may have been hitting or loose cutter.As I was looking at the HSS bar on the towards the back of the cutter the bottom was rubbing the aluminum.So canning that ideal guess I will have to find a 3/4 boring bar that is on short side to fit this head.So project is on hold again to either buy a set or buy just one bar cut it shorter.Which looking at Shars just one 3/4 bar is 32.00 vs a small set 55.00 vs larger set thats 96.00.When does it stop guys:)Bar.jpg

Back