Grinding Stones

boodogboo

Active User
Registered
Can anyone tell me what grit stone or rock to sharpen HSS cutting tool for thread cutting.Thanks for any help.

I am using a 46 J white cup wheel on my T&C grinder. I rough the shape on a HSS blank with it and then grind a small lip on it with my bench grinder that is set at a lesser angle with a carbide green wheel on it (not correct but works and is faster than changing out the wheel on the T&C grinder). If I need it better than that I then follow by hand honing on my knife sharpeners finest stone.

I like 46 grit wheels yet I use a lot of 60 grit at work too

I like the fine diamond stones for polishing up the finish on them, Have a set for my knifes and another set for the shop. (the set for the house got lost one day and I had to replace them)

I like the fine diamond stones for polishing up the finish on them, Have a set for my knifes and another set for the shop. (the set for the house got lost one day and I had to replace them)
What's a good place to get those? What grit do you use?

I do have 2 bench grinders , so I could use 46 on one and put 60 or 120 on the other for finish. As John ask where would be a good place to get them and what brand is good quality.

I have found some at Gun shows, some at places like Cabellas, and some ordered on the internet (amazon). I like the solid ones, not the ones with the thin metal mesh over plastic. (harbor Freight). I have some from 400 to I think 1200 grit. Do a real nice job on knifes, so I figured they would do good on HSS, So far it seems to work for finishing, but I'm still learning. The ones I like are made from ez lap I think. They last a long time also. I do have a couple of old oil stones, Arkansas stones, and many others (ok I like sharp knives) but mainly use the diamond stones.
Grinder I have a Cheap HF one for now. Hope to get a better one when I find a good deal or make one.

Back