Grit/Dust Control

The only other thing that shoots as much grit into the air to attack my lathe and mill is the angle grinder.
My belt grinder just shoots the grit right to the floor. I have a bench grinder but it never gets used.

I made a dust collector pickup from a 2" LB conduit elbow like this:
https://www.menards.com/main/electr...093-c-9538.htm?tid=1649784214228998021&ipos=2

I cut an oval hole in the cover to open about half of the area then attached it to a bracket on the wheel housing so it could slide up and down depending on the size of the work. The pickup is attached to a dedicated shop vac. when in use. It may not meet OSHA standards, but it's been in use nearly 10 years without a problem.
DSCF8037.JPGDSCF8038.JPG

My belt grinder just shoots the grit right to the floor. I have a bench grinder but it never gets used.
I had the same problem with my 42" belt grinder shooting grit all over the floor, but I glued a square plastic dish right on the bottom of the lower wheel, now all I do is add water in the dish before grinding, it collects most of the grit .

Most of my grinding equipment went in my old office when I added on to my shop. 2 surface grinders and a tool and cutter grinder.
My cylindrical grinder is just on the other side of the wall from the office and the jig grinder just on the other side of the opposite wall and that wall will get a door and be an addition to the grinding room.
The addition for the lathes, mills, shaper, drill press, and bandsaws is 20 feet away and has just a small walk in door. So it's 2 walls away from the surface grinders and 1 wall away from the cylindrical.
The cylindrical is always run with coolant so very little dust there.

If you can wall off an area for grinders it is nice. Keeps the grit there and off other machines. Up side is you can heat the small area warmer than the rest of the shop. Downside is ventilation is pretty much required.
I have a big old shop vac that died, it has a small shop vac installed in it that I use on the surface grinder. The old vac housing makes it much quieter.
My surface grinder came with a vac attachment point so with a little hose that part was easy.

Back