Grizzly 0463 Stalling

JPower6210

Registered
Registered
Hi Folks- I have an older 0463 that I bought used- I have just started doing some projects and running into a stalling issue, typically while drilling. I was drilling tonight with a 3/8 drill, freshly sharpened. I am not applying too much pressure, and I am clearing the chips regularly. I was drilling steel and had drilled a pilot as well. The chips are coming off evenly and are not colored. The issue is that I got a number of stalls- the motor stops. The fault light does not come on, and I don’t have to reset, I just have to turn the direction switch off and back on and the mill starts right back up. The other “symptom” I am seeing is that the speed control does not seem very linear. Is this just a limitation of the mill? Or should I be looking at something that needs to be fixed. Thanks!

JP

Is yours equipped with the 2 speed gear head? If so, maybe try low gear. I could see stalling a 3/4 HP motor with a 3/8 drill bit in steel.

It does have the two speed head and I was in low gear- so I should not expect it to trip the fault light and have to reset the e stop button? Just cycling the direction switch (from forward to off and back) seems to fix it-

In that case maybe there is a controller issue. Is it possible the machine is wired for 240V and you are running it on 120?

OK, I just looked at the manual, it is only a 120V machine. The first thing I would check is the motor brushes.

The current limit must be set to trip too early- check www.olduhfguy.com
mark

EDIT: Fixed broken link-Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I just looked at the manual, it is only a 120V machine. The first thing I would check is the motor brushes.
This ^^^^^. Yeah, I know, I'm a day late and a dollar short, but brushes was my first thought, too.

Tom

Back