Grizzly 0704 dead

Gman45acp

Active User
Registered
I purchased an non working 0704. Owner said was working and then just stopped. It appears to be well taken care of and looks like new. I called Grizzly and they have motor and the two circuit boards available. Anyone have any suggestions where to stare. I do not have it home yet but will be getting it this weekend.

I purchased an non working 0704. Owner said was working and then just stopped. It appears to be well taken care of and looks like new. I called Grizzly and they have motor and the two circuit boards available. Anyone have any suggestions where to stare. I do not have it home yet but will be getting it this weekend.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0704_pl.pdf

I would start with the cord to see if it has power and go from there checking what has power and what doesn't. Be careful working with the power connected with things opened up.

I see by the parts list there is a variable speed board and for me this would be highly suspect. Probably a blown SCR. Look for blacken a component(s) on the board.

could a capacitor blown also cause non run ? often they are pretty easy to identify as horse sh**.

If your good with a voltmeter, open up the panel, plug it in and start probing things. The variable speed board would seem to be the most obvious but don't assume anything. A voltmeter is your friend here...

Once you get it home, plug it in and see where you are at. I have one and will be happy to help you trouble shoot it. There is a fuse on the back panel of the control box - start there. If the display lights up and the motor runs, but the spindle does not turn, there is a gear that strips pretty easily (if that is the problem, it is only $10 to replace it). After stripping 3 gears, I decided to convert mine to belt drive.

Dan

:think1:

i would not buy a motor or board before having them checked out. if you go to http://repaircontrol.com/ (gerling laboratories) you can have your board checked out, repaired and sent back to you for much less than the new one costs. they will also give instructions on checking out the motor and other items, potentiometer, switches, etc. my board got fried on my new mill because my reversing switch (i installed cheap switch) went bad. it only cost 53 dollars to have rebuilt. replacement was going to be about $130. just a thought. very easy to install and check out. just drop me a PM if you like and ill give you my number so i can help.

Charley

Owner said he did not check anything on the mill. It was running and the went dead. I built several Heathkits over the years so I should be ok with a volt meter. Once it have it here will start with the cord and work through it.... He does have the manual and online I see there is a wiring diagram so that should help

Thanks

Gary

Unless the cord shows damage, I seriously doubt that the cord would go bad (just my experience and opinion). I'll be happy to take measurements on my mill when you start troubleshooting. Just let me know what you need.

Dan

Gman, apparently, you are hitting the "Report" button at times when you intend to reply to a post. That sends a message to the staff that there is a problem with something in the thread or post. If you want to participate in the thread, simply click the "+ Reply to Thread" button in the lower left corner of the page. It is white text on a background, blue in my case due to the theme I have selected.

I will delete the "Reported" posts that are in the Staff only forum. Please use the the report button only if there is a problem that needs staff attention.

My G0704 did that once, I actually ordered a switch thinking it burnt up and after changing it out and still no power, I noticed the fuse holder in the back of the control box. So now I have an extra switch and about 5 extra fuses for next time. Maybe you'll get lucky and just the fuse is blown.

Back